Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: Do you support the UAW?
Yes, I buy UAW/CAW cars pretty much exclusively. 5 35.71%
No, but I buy cars owned by either GM or Ford (American owned, profit to us) 5 35.71%
No, I prefer foreign cars. 4 28.57%
I ride a bicycle. 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Admin

Let us start calling all of these "right to work" states what they are, the yellow dog states.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Compete? Alabama just gave Airbus $153 million to build a non-union plant there to build A-320s, how in hell are they supposed to compete when their own countrymen sell them out? I won't fly in anything anymore but you would need to hogtie me to get me on an A-320, never saw and heard so much rattling in my life.

That $153 million is supposed to create 1000 new jobs, unless my calculator is broken that is $153,300 per job.
That's alright, Rob. I'm sure their GOP Buds in DC have some federal taxpayer money to help them out. They can bury it in the welfare money they already get.

Dave
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM

Airbus is outsourcing to the US to get out of their contracts at home. Sound familiar? Plus add the give always from local governments it is a win win for them. The cost is born by the tax payers and the company will move as soon as the money stops! Leaving the state to holding the bag.

It is really "Right to work for peanuts states" they forgot to complete the sentence!

Barney
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Not to demean your Chevy, Rob, but 4WD sucks up a fair amount of gas. The RAV4 is also essentially a brick aerodynamically.

Also, sometimes you find things that, on the surface, are totally counter-intuitive. I had a 1972 Chevy G10 short wheelbase van with a 250 c.i.d. 6 cylinder, 2 BBL carburetor. Traded it in for a 1974 Chevy G20 standard wheelbase van with a 350 V8, 4BBL carb. Guess which one got better mileage!

John
The '74 with the 350 4bbl.

I had an Isuzu truck that was made in Indiana. 4x4, 6 cylinder 5 speed. It got the same mileage my buddies full size king cab Z71 got. Guess what I bought
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Area Man

When I was over in Newport News my neighbor went out and bought one of those Toyota TRD 4wd pick-ups brand-new. I told here she should have gotten a Dakota. She laughed at me.

That POS only got 13mpg on a 4 cyinder! Gave her all sorts of problems too. Transaxle/Transmission issues, IIRC. She had it a year and got rid of it. Bought a used BMW after that.

I've had my Dakota for almost 16 years and 200,000 miles. As far as problems that actually rendered it undriveable there was only one---fuel pump. And that was under warranty so it didn't cost me anything.

Now, ball joints-----I'm on my third set.

Dave
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Now, ball joints-----I'm on my third set.

Dave
My 96 Ram 1500 with 160K still has it original joints. But the boots finally cracked. Still tight so packed some grease in there for now.

BTW getting 16mpg on a 318 auto 2WD last time I filled up.

Barney