Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Area Man

Inside Job

Just watched this movie. Wow! Everyone should check it out. I'd like to see your thoughts on it.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-26-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Just watched this movie. Wow! Everyone should check it out. I'd like to see your thoughts on it.

Dave
Simplified Hollywood explanation for complicated economic interactions. Ferguson never met a regulation he didn't like. Come on, a movie that has Barney Frank, George Soros, and Matt Damon explaining the 2008 crash is like the Westboro Baptist Church explaining what is wrong with America. Asserting imagined evils don't make them true. The bad part is that for a lot of people; the Hollywood explanation is their only explanation. Entertaining? Perhaps, but certainly clouded by the blatant political bias of its left wing perspective.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM

I give everything a shot and make up my own mind thanks. I even watched every speech 43 made.
IMO, you have 1929, you learn from your mistakes and install checks and balances (regulation), remove said checks and balances (regulation) that prevents re-occurrence, and you have 2008.
I bookmarked the movie on Amazon so I won't forget it. I haven't rented a movie in at least 20 years. Seriously lol.

Carl
Old 03-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Area Man

Then what did happen? Huh?

I tend to think that when people say, "Oh, it's so complicated, you wouldn't understand.", they're blowing smoke. The movie made sense and spared no one. Left or right. They hit the Clinton Administration pretty hard. They made mention of the fact that "the regulators" were/are horribly corrupt. They mentioned that the current administration has changed darn little, if anything at all. The basic premise was that the problem was lack of effective regulation, yes. Because that's the truth. The key word being "effective".

I can't believe that after all that has happened, people still don't see that when you either have no rules, or have rules that are not enforced---Some people WILL lie, cheat and steal. What? Hundreds of billions of dollars at play doesn't amount to potential motive? Spare me.

"Imagined evils"? Really? We just "imagine" that these people are insatiably greedy?
Please, again, spare me.

My position, broken down to it's simplest form;

I don't want a government that doesn't regulate. I want a government that regulates firmly, but responsibly. And, I don't get that from either party. I have one party that just piles one ineffective regulation on top of the last, and another party that seems to think the thieves are the good guys, that if we suck up to them they'll create jobs with the money they stole. They are both clueless.

Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
They are both clueless.

Dave
True dat.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Asserting imagined evils don't make them true.
I just wish people on both sides of an argument would stop doing that. I'm tired of defending against strawman arguments and responding to posts that use inflammatory and derogatory names as shorthand for imagined evils in an attempt to distract from a substantive discussion.

Quote:

I can't believe that after all that has happened, people still don't see that when you either have no rules, or have rules that are not enforced---Some people WILL lie, cheat and steal. What? Hundreds of billions of dollars at play doesn't amount to potential motive? Spare me.

"Imagined evils"? Really? We just "imagine" that these people are insatiably greedy?
Please, again, spare me.

My position, broken down to it's simplest form;

I don't want a government that doesn't regulate. I want a government that regulates firmly, but responsibly. And, I don't get that from either party. I have one party that just piles one ineffective regulation on top of the last, and another party that seems to think the thieves are the good guys, that if we suck up to them they'll create jobs with the money they stole. They are both clueless.

Dave
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm really astonished that the tea party movement, which seems to have started or at least gained traction since the financial meltdown and subsequent gov't bailouts, is manipulated by corporate interests to such an extent that these tea partiers want less government oversight of the people who caused the mess in the first place. Sure, the bailout was highly unpleasant and probably handled poorly. And sure, the government is at fault for not having effective regulation... BUT the major reason the regulations have been ineffective is that the govt is in the pockets of the industries it's supposed to regulate... just like the tea party is now. Instead of the tea party being a force for positive change in gov't, they're just a force to accelerate the rush towards corporate control of government which, by the way, is pretty close to the definition of facism.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:

Dave
I don't watch movies.

Give me a dry documentry and I am happy however.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
I just wish people on both sides of an argument would stop doing that. I'm tired of defending against strawman arguments and responding to posts that use inflammatory and derogatory names as shorthand for imagined evils in an attempt to distract from a substantive discussion.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm really astonished that the tea party movement, which seems to have started or at least gained traction since the financial meltdown and subsequent gov't bailouts, is manipulated by corporate interests to such an extent that these tea partiers want less government oversight of the people who caused the mess in the first place. Sure, the bailout was highly unpleasant and probably handled poorly. And sure, the government is at fault for not having effective regulation... BUT the major reason the regulations have been ineffective is that the govt is in the pockets of the industries it's supposed to regulate... just like the tea party is now. Instead of the tea party being a force for positive change in gov't, they're just a force to accelerate the rush towards corporate control of government which, by the way, is pretty close to the definition of facism.
Absolutely! And that's what makes the whole thing such a massive farce.

The government regulators have been corrupted by corporate lobbyists whose corrupt bosses tanked the economy. So, obviously the answer is to just get the regulators out of the way entirely, rather than make the system tighter and more efficient? Because the guys who made this mess have some (perceived) constitutional right to do things as they darn well see fit?

So, a thief robs your house, burns it down and kills your dog while you were on vacation because your security system didn't work. The only logical conclusion is that ALL security systems are bogus? And the answer is to remove the system, take all of the locks out of the house and leave the doors standing open, because the perpetrator says he hates pesky locks and alarms and that it's impossible for him to hire more thugs if he can't make money robbing people? The mentality is incredible. It truly is.

Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I don't watch movies.

Give me a dry documentry and I am happy however.
It is a documentary, Noone.

Dave
Old 03-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Absolutely! And that's what makes the whole thing such a massive farce.

The government regulators have been corrupted by corporate lobbyists whose corrupt bosses tanked the economy. So, obviously the answer is to just get the regulators out of the way entirely, rather than make the system tighter and more efficient? Because the guys who made this mess have some (perceived) constitutional right to do things as they darn well see fit?

So, a thief robs your house, burns it down and kills your dog while you were on vacation because your security system didn't work. The only logical conclusion is that ALL security systems are bogus? And the answer is to remove the system, take all of the locks out of the house and leave the doors standing open, because the perpetrator says he hates pesky locks and alarms and that it's impossible for him to hire more thugs if he can't make money robbing people? The mentality is incredible. It truly is.

Dave
Like the same mentality that blames Freddie and Fannie because they encouraged banks to loan to people. That is like the the mentality that says people rob banks because that is where the money is.

Wells Fargo; Really your honour it was not our fault we broke the law, they encouraged us to do it." Sweet Lord Jesus.