Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Loyal Opposition

Is this the history according to Whell, or is there a reputable source (i.e., other than a right-wing think tank) that supports your generalizations here.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Is this the history according to Whell, or is there a reputable source (i.e., other than a right-wing think tank) that supports your generalizations here.

Regards,

D-Ray
Case in point. There's far more out there, but that's what you've got paralegals for, counselor!

http://www.allbusiness.com/personal-.../423822-1.html
Old 10-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Resident octogenarian

I read your allbusiness bit, must have missed the part where Reno said they must loan to people who can't afford it - so where's the beef?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Do I have to do all the homework for you guys?

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/bu...e-lending.html

Also, search "loan" in this document, a transcript of a J Reno speech, and see it in her own words.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Loyal Opposition

So the failure of the banking system rests on a law that says that creditworthiness rather than the color of one's skin should be the basis for credit decisions. Thanks for the education, Whell.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
So the failure of the banking system rests on a law that says that creditworthiness rather than the color of one's skin should be the basis for credit decisions. Thanks for the education, Whell.

Regards,

D-Ray
Happy to help. Now, if we could only have educated Clinton and Reno at that time, it's likely we'd have avoided this mess.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Happy to help. Now, if we could only have educated Clinton and Reno at that time, it's likely we'd have avoided this mess.
Well the search did not come up with the text of the speech but all I saw was "relax" the creditworthiness rules, no one said throw them out.

Hell when we bought this land I was making a pretty decent wage but the bank turne us down. I went to the bank and aske why. I was told I did not make enough and when I asked what was wrong with my Canadian pension, they said Oh, that does make a difference. Now I could have covered it on what I was earning here easily, especially as much of my pension was going to my ex and paying taxes on the house she was living in. Creditworthiness is whatever the three agencies say about you. I have news for you - they are mostly wrong. Two of them had me down as 25 years younger than I really was. They had me listed as having a credit card from a bank that persisted in sending me the card and I cut it up and sent it back.

None of this excuses the brokers and banks that actually falsified the data pertaining to the borower's income and that was the straw that broke the camels back. Not Clinton, not Reno. Not Freddie, Not Fannie, it was crooked greedy people. But of course the GOP loves the banks (or at least their money) so they will spin, spin, spin.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 AM

One thought has come to mind while reading this thread. A lot of this argument is about the haves wanting it all and the have nots upset with paying unfair share of the bills. I don't see why someone who is successful would not want to pay back the country responsible in making it happen.

Like you see all the commercials on how to get out of paying your taxes owed. which seems OK to most people right?
But let a single mother need help with a baby due to working a low paying job without health care. Or a middle ages person loose their job due to out sourcing or automation get unemployment benefits. Then they are stealing from the government! Lord hope you never get sick without health care and own a house.

I sure there are cases where the government pays money out that should not be and this should be addressed. But when one finagles ways to get out of their tax burden is this not stealing from you and me also?

The financial firms on Wall Street have been robbing this country with the get rich scams with no over site or very little. What penalties did Wall Street incur when taking the money? No they gave bonuses to the clowns who made the mess!!

People are mad as hell and are looking to express it, sometimes the message takes awhile to become clear.

Barney
Old 10-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
One thought has come to mind while reading this thread. A lot of this argument is about the haves wanting it all and the have nots upset with paying unfair share of the bills. I don't see why someone who is successful would not want to pay back the country responsible in making it happen.

Like you see all the commercials on how to get out of paying your taxes owed. which seems OK to most people right?
But let a single mother need help with a baby due to working a low paying job without health care. Or a middle ages person loose their job due to out sourcing or automation get unemployment benefits. Then they are stealing from the government! Lord hope you never get sick without health care and own a house.

I sure there are cases where the government pays money out that should not be and this should be addressed. But when one finagles ways to get out of their tax burden is this not stealing from you and me also?

The financial firms on Wall Street have been robbing this country with the get rich scams with no over site or very little. What penalties did Wall Street incur when taking the money? No they gave bonuses to the clowns who made the mess!!

People are mad as hell and are looking to express it, sometimes the message takes awhile to become clear.

Barney

Thanks, Barney. Well stated.

Dave
Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Area Man

Put simply; I believe our successful folks are ALREADY more than amply rewarded.

When you start seeking to increase the reward to the point where you must force the lower economic strata to give things up just to keep the top "satisfied" (As if greed is ever "satisfied".)-------Something is wrong.

I'm not against rewarding successful people. I am against them deciding ALL of the nations wealth belongs to THEM, and that they somehow have the right to decide which of us deserves to survive. F**k that.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-08-2011 at 10:41 AM.