View Poll Results: My plan
Good idea 3 50.00%
Bad idea 3 50.00%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 AM

HELP: Avoiding taxes and escaping the system

Hey guys.

Right. In order to avoid paying government protection money and so I dont have to work 24/7 (in my supermarket) just to get by like basically everyone who I know does, I was going to take a tent to the national park near where I am currently stationed and live the rest of my life out there.

I will be right near the town so I will be able to access showers at the local swimming pool (for a price), several free water supplies, computers at the library, the hospital, my work and the dry cleaners. I will still be near family but obviously what I am planning to do is something that they will not understand and will not immediately accept. I will take a lockable suitcase lined with heavy stuff (perhaps bricks) to put my clothes in so they dont get stolen when I leave them behind in the tent.

I am going to have a 'try out week', during the Summer, with my best friend. This is something that I will, at first, present as a camping trip to my family, so I wont have any trouble moving my stuff up there.

I have yet to work out the costs in great detail but it seems that I can get away with working only one or two (or maybe three at the very most) days a week for the rest of my life.

I was wondering if you guys could do me a favour and pick holes in this plan. Please be as harsh as possible. I also would like to know what you guys think about it. Thanks!

Last edited by Brother_Karl; 02-07-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Resident octogenarian

Given the climate change you would likely freeze your tushy off.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Sounds to me like it's gonna get old real fast. I'd come up with a more ambitious plan.

Chas
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

If by government protection money you mean taxes, you'll still have to pay them. Playing boy scout doesn't make you immune to taxes. I like the woods and camping as much as the next guy and actually spent two whole summers in a tent while working at a scout camp. What you're doing sounds fun enough when you're still young and free, but the fun won't last long IMHO.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Hope you enjoy celibacy. The babes tend not to dig it when their man lives in a tent in the park...

...unless you also aim to start a commune in the park.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sounds to me like it's gonna get old real fast.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
If by government protection money you mean taxes, you'll still have to pay them.
I'm pretty sure I wont have to. I'll only be working part time and they dont tax you if you dont work full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Given the climate change you would likely freeze your tushy off.
I wouldnt have to stay there during the day, at least. Over night I'm sure I'll be able to wrap up warm enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Hope you enjoy celibacy. The babes tend not to dig it when their man lives in a tent in the park...
Doesnt bother me. And, also, I'm sure some girls wouldnt mind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
...unless you also aim to start a commune in the park.
This is a future possibility which would likely cause problems but its not something that I'm thinking about right now.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Resident octogenarian

I have slept in a tent midwinter in Canada - I don't recommend it as a long term pastime.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
Why?

I'm pretty sure I wont have to. I'll only be working part time and they dont tax you if you dont work full time.

I wouldnt have to stay there during the day, at least. Over night I'm sure I'll be able to wrap up warm enough.

Doesnt bother me. And, also, I'm sure some girls wouldnt mind it.

This is a future possibility which would likely cause problems but its not something that I'm thinking about right now.
I lived in a tent camper for awhile, so I have an idea of what I speak.

It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, tents leak, they're full of bugs, big storms tend to destroy them, even the camper with a table and booths wore a flat spot on your ass, cooking is primitive, the bathroom facilities are primitive...it's just a primitive way to live.

Why not just purchase a small parcel of land and build a well insulated small house? Taxes and utilities will be cheap, and you'll be far more comfortable.

But don't let me ruin your fun. After you find a snake in your sleeping bag, or a bumblebee stings you on your lip early in the morning, or the whole shebang collapses in a downpour, then you can view rejoining society in a different light.

Even a week at fishing camp, where the cabins have all of the comforts of home (besides a telephone or wireless access) is about all I can stand at one time.

My old bones miss my easy chair.

Chas
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
Hey guys.

Right. In order to avoid paying government protection money and so I dont have to work 24/7 (in my supermarket) just to get by like basically everyone who I know does, I was going to take a tent to the national park near where I am currently stationed and live the rest of my life out there.

I will be right near the town so I will be able to access showers at the local swimming pool (for a price), several free water supplies, computers at the library, the hospital, my work and the dry cleaners. I will still be near family but obviously what I am planning to do is something that they will not understand and will not immediately accept. I will take a lockable suitcase lined with heavy stuff (perhaps bricks) to put my clothes in so they dont get stolen when I leave them behind in the tent.

I am going to have a 'try out week', during the Summer, with my best friend. This is something that I will, at first, present as a camping trip to my family, so I wont have any trouble moving my stuff up there.\\

Good luck to you, I encourage you to do whatever you can to get out of this compelled capitalism we have and be truly free.

I have yet to work out the costs in great detail but it seems that I can get away with working only one or two (or maybe three at the very most) days a week for the rest of my life.

I was wondering if you guys could do me a favour and pick holes in this plan. Please be as harsh as possible. I also would like to know what you guys think about it. Thanks!
we are compelled to be a part of the capitalistic system but it's a free country. What a joke.

Last edited by noonereal; 02-07-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But don't let me ruin your fun. After you find a snake in your sleeping bag, or a bumblebee stings you on your lip early in the morning, or the whole shebang collapses in a downpour, then you can view rejoining society in a different light.
ROTFLMAO!!

Although Karl, I say, go for it. At least you're following your own path. And I don't have to take consequences for my advice if I'm wrong

Pete