Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Deep Thinking

If our cities are so well-architected, why do we repeatedly empty them in a run for the country?

Just a thought game. I am thinking of Merle Haggard's "Big City" song. Saw an interview where someone was asked to summarize their thoughts of Merle. The reply was big thinker.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM

Neglectful government followed by neglectful residents. Disappearing employment followed by degraded infrastructure.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Ready

People like to work together, but have some room around their camp too. There's a conflict between the two.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 PM

Urban architecture, especially that in the East and Midwest, has always had a great deal of appeal for me. I've lived in a number of cities and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, "warts and all". I'm even considering moving back east and probably will end up living in an urban center if I do.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
People like to work together, but have some room around their camp too. There's a conflict between the two.
That's the thought space I am in too.

But how to get people to work together close enough so that they appreciate acreage once again?

I hear people living on acreage complaining about entitlement. My brain overheats.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Neglectful government followed by neglectful residents. Disappearing employment followed by degraded infrastructure.
Boreas,

This is a necropost but hey, who doesn't like a scab to pick at?

You expressed two observations that struck a chord with me. The first one was the order of neglect between government and its residents. IMO that is democracy space. In popular music the debate might be akin to string instruments. Earthlings generally like them and the sound is good bar fodder. Who doesn't like a good bar?

Your second observation seemed to come right out of your heart and got down to architecture, warts and all. IMO that is republican space. In popular music the debate might be akin to percussion instruments. Earthlings generally like them and the sound is good bar fodder. Who doesn't like a good bar?

Today some morning DJs pondered why people seem to be more friendly inside of venue restrooms than outside of them. In my mind their question approached an orthogonal basis between democracy, republic, and art. We have a good bar here so let's have fun with toilets and our ear cans.

IMO whether other people appear to better behaved inside restrooms or outside of restrooms depends on an observer's goal. If the goal in a space is to piss then people in that space will work together to piss. If the goal in a space is to prove worthiness then people in that space will work against each other. Any set of observers can see restroom thresholds depending on their goal. Do you want to piss or do you want to get laid?

I do not know the right answer to the architectural problem, but my bias is for East money to unwind Midwest toilet democracy. No smiley faces.

Last edited by ebacon; 12-28-2017 at 06:37 PM.