Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I hate white people. Hell, they're not even white! More pinkish tan. Liars all.

Ice, because it's a great book, no question.

Pete
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
well

are some wanting it taught because its a great book?
or are some wanting it taught because it uses the n word.

that is the context facing a school board
It's a great book. One of the signs of a great book is it illuminates one's thinking on basic and important matters. Racial hate and it's history in this country are a basic and important matter.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I hate white people. Hell, they're not even white! More pinkish tan. Liars all.
Do you have a point?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I don't discriminate with my discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's a great book. One of the signs of a great book is it illuminates one's thinking on basic and important matters. Racial hate and it's history in this country are a basic and important matter.
GREAT post.

Pete
Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
If you're interested in this subject, check out the new movie "12 Years a Slave." Outstanding, yet sometimes brutal, flick.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
It is great....

but I do not remember Twain using that word to demonstrate that it was deroagtory or wrong....he used it neutral...i.e. it was a part of the character's name. In other words no one was offended by it at the time....
that is how I remember it.

so its use is actually much more damning than say how Tarantino used it in Django. Now people are offended by today...taxpayers who support the local school district with their hard earned cash may be offended by the use....and like anyone else can ask the local school officials to not teach it.

Even if the protagonist of the novel and its theme is non-racist it would still cause considerable offense and controversy in a school district.

That is why schools will not show Django in their districts either.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
It is great....

but I do not remember Twain using that word to demonstrate that it was deroagtory or wrong....he used it neutral...i.e. it was a part of the character's name. In other words no one was offended by it at the time....

so its use is actually much more damning than say how Tarantino used it in Django. Now people are offended by today...taxpayers who support the local school district with their hard earned cash may be offended by the use....and like anyone else can ask the local school officials to not teach it.

Even if the protagonist of the novel and its theme is non-racist it would still cause considerable offense and controversy in a school district.

That is why schools will not show Django in their districts either.
Though I liked Django, I'm not sure it's an appropriate film for schools trying to teach kids about slavery. "12 Years a Slave" is far more realistic and historically accurate. No comparison, really.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Though I liked Django, I'm not sure it's an appropriate film for schools trying to teach kids about slavery. "12 Years a Slave" is far more realistic and historically accurate. No comparison, really.
You are correct sir. And if you think about Twain he was sort of doing what Tarantino does today shocking with vulagarity...however I understand where Tarantino is coming from...not so sure with Twain. His theme in Huck Finn is about whether one should do what the heart says or whether one should follow society. I do not really think he was being progressive about race at all.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It is great....

Actually, while the word is used more than 200 times, it appears only once directly preceding "Jim".
Critics of the book are the ones who have made it the character's name.

I do agree it was not used in derogatory intent, it was the common descriptive of a person of color at that time.
People were also "gay" just by having good cheer.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 11-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I can't wait to see the 12 years movie.

For HS kids, I like 'Look out whitey, black power's gon' get your mama'. No kidding, it's a good book. My sis read it in AP English lit. A good balance would be 'Up from slavery'.

Pete