Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycommy View Post
You see the reason that Death Penalty isn't a deterrent is because in a lot of ways it's similar to a life sentence, you get 10,000 appeals in which, the lawyers, the judge, even the bailiff are all paid out of our pockets. Seriously I garruntee that if we gave people only a couple of appeals and had them properly executed in a matter of weeks after being sentenced I bet you'd see a drop in serious crimes after the first 500 are killed. The only thing wrong with this is the question "Wat if we kill someone who's not guilty?" Well hardly ever do we convict someone of murder who is not guilty and even if it was me who was that 1 in a billion guy wrongly accused sentenced to death, I wouldn't care if it meant that thousands of terrible people get whats coming to them
Studies have shown the deterence derives from the certainty of punishment, not the severity. Accordingly, if you were certain you'd be caught for a murder you committed, a sentence of 20 years, life, or death would have the same effect.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Loyal Opposition

But if you've watched enough cop shows, you know that the threat of a death penalty provides a significant tool in getting co-operation from a murder suspect, especially if there is a partner in crime upon whom the murder could be blamed. We all believe everything we see on TV, right?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
But if you've watched enough cop shows, you know that the threat of a death penalty provides a significant tool in getting co-operation from a murder suspect, especially if there is a partner in crime upon whom the murder could be blamed. We all believe everything we see on TV, right?

Regards,

D-Ray
Only on The Colbert Report.