Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Your probably thinking of Mammoth Springs that forms the Spring river. It is in NE Arkansas. Great trout and walleye fishing. I went there last year about this time. The problem is I pass about four places that have better trout fishing on the drive over there. It is one massive spring though.
I'm sure you're right. Does the Spring flow into the Current?

Our little trip took place almost 40 years ago.

Chas
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm sure you're right. Does the Spring flow into the Current?

Our little trip took place almost 40 years ago.

Chas
You may be a bit north and east of what you think, Chas
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I guess I should tell my story about the time my buddy and myself decided to take a trip down the Current, from Big Spring? (been a long time) to the Arkansas line. About 1973.

Long story short, they ain't shit out there, and you need more than three fifths of cheap whiskey and a bag of some lousy pot. A feller does get hungry, and drinking our of the Current ain't exactly drinking water.

I have since revised my definition of going back to nature to include a powerboat and and at least a seedy fishing cabin with a full kitchenette, air conditioning, with a lighted dock.

And a likker store within 20 miles. I learned the hard way.

Chas
Yep...you can take the Current from Big Spring down to the state line. I've not done that as we'd usually take out somewhere below Big Spring.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Here's my boat on the Mississippi near St. Louis.

End of thread Jack

Jack away, Rex!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Is it the 2 person "splash-yak" self-bailer, shaped like a canoe?
I've had one for many years.
Grew up canoeing the Current and Black and Courtois and upper Meramac. Then I moved to California and the rivers are a little too wild for a canoe, so got the Achilles.
Naw, it's one of those flat bottom tender models. Three piece plywood floor with a transom. Shit, I used to run a minnkota trolling motor fishing for spotted bay bass and halibut in Newport Harbor here in SoCal.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Here's my boat on the Mississippi near St. Louis.

End of thread Jack

I always thought a square stern with a small outboard & outriggers would make a pretty good boat.

Chas
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
I always thought a square stern with a small outboard & outriggers would make a pretty good boat.

Chas
I know a guy in Wilmington, N.C. that cuts a hole in the bottom of a canoe and builds a motor well. He mounts an electric trolling motor and can go miles in almost dead silence up and down the Cape Fear river.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I know a guy in Wilmington, N.C. that cuts a hole in the bottom of a canoe and builds a motor well. He mounts an electric trolling motor and can go miles in almost dead silence up and down the Cape Fear river.
That's pretty bold and conjures up an image of a Popeye cartoon. I mount a trolling motor directly to the gunwales of a regular (not square-sterned) canoe by putting a chunk of 2x4 on both sides of the gunwale. I do it less and less anymore as lugging the battery around is more of a PITA than paddling.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
That's pretty bold and conjures up an image of a Popeye cartoon. I mount a trolling motor directly to the gunwales of a regular (not square-sterned) canoe by putting a chunk of 2x4 on both sides of the gunwale. I do it less and less anymore as lugging the battery around is more of a PITA than paddling.
I've got an old 3.5 Seaking with an internal fuel tank and it weighs less than a battery.

Chas
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
This guy loves to monkey around with boats. He took a surplus 32' Navy lifeboat and built it into a house boat. It looked like Noah's Arc. He powered it with a 6.5HP Seagull outboard that was hung from the rudder on a bracket he built. He, his wife, and I went up the IC Waterway from Wilmington to Morehead City and back. It was the most relaxing trip I've ever been on. Below deck it was spectacular. All the cabinetry was Honduran Mahogany he scrounged from the N.C. State Port there in Wilmington. It slept 4 extremely comfortably, included a galley, and more importantly, a head. Even had music from a tube system he built. He had storage batteries that he charged with shore power and could run the system with an inverter for a while.