Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
?????????
The terms "right", conservative, and Republican are used interchangeably by many on this forum. The terms are NOT interchangeable. Besides, I think we're all still Americans (with a few exceptions), right?

Last edited by whell; 10-24-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The terms "right", conservative, and Republican are used interchangeably by many on this forum. The terms are NOT interchangeable. Besides, I think we're all still Americans (with a few exceptions), right?
I hear the argument frequently that conservative and Republican are not interchangeable in American politics (mostly from right wing talking heads). I don't buy it. It has become a way to try to distance themselves from the train-wreck of Dubya's administration (which they backed strongly until the wheel's came off). In this revisionist way of thinking, Dubya screwed the pooch not because he was a conservative, but because he was a Republican. IMHO, he screwed the pooch both as a conservative and a Republican.

One thing's for sure - Republicans use Democrat and liberal interchangeably. Same diff.

Last edited by finnbow; 10-24-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I hear the argument frequently that conservative and Republican are not interchangeable in American politics (mostly from right wing talking heads). I don't buy it. It has become a way to try to distance themselves from the train-wreck of Dubya's administration (which they backed strongly until the wheel's came off). In this revisionist way of thinking, Dubya screwed the pooch not because he was a conservative, but because he was a Republican. IMHO, he screwed the pooch both as a conservative and a Republican.

One thing's for sure - Republicans use Democrat and liberal interchangeably. Same diff.
So then, what differences in political philosophy differentiate Zell Miller from Ted Kennedy? None, because the were both Democrats? I don't think so. What differentiates a Jack Kemp from an Olympia Snowe? Or a Mitt Romney from a Ron Paul? Same diff.

Dubya was as much of a conservative as his dad was....not very.

Last edited by whell; 10-24-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

Here is another of their underhanded tactics exposed. BTW if someone can find a real conservative in the GOP I will be astounded.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...eDM_story.html
Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
... oh no, and we smell like piss.
ROTFLMAO!!!

Pete
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
So then, what differences in political philosophy differentiate Zell Miller from Ted Kennedy? None, because the were both Democrats? I don't think so. What differentiates a Jack Kemp from an Olympia Snowe? Or a Mitt Romney from a Ron Paul? Same diff.

Dubya was as much of a conservative as his dad was....not very.
OK. Then why are the Republicans having such a difficult time finding a "conservative" to run for President? Lots of "flavors of the week," but nobody who passes the conservative purity test.

I'm afraid that Talk Radio and Faux News have created the illusion of the perfect conservative in the minds of the sheeple that listen to them. Upon close examination, nobody passes the dozen or so critical litmus tests (anti-tax, anti-immigrant, anti-gay, anti-Obamacare, anti-Social Security, anti-global warming, anti-evolution, Evangelical, pro-Israel, pro-"American Exceptionalism, anti-Defense cuts, yada, yada, yada) that are being used by Talk Radio/Faux to define a conservative (without seeming like a complete lunatic (i.e., Bachmann)).
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
OK. Then why are the Republicans having such a difficult time finding a "conservative" to run for President? Lots of "flavors of the week," but nobody who passes the conservative purity test.

I'm afraid that Talk Radio and Faux News have created the illusion of the perfect conservative in the minds of the sheeple that listen to them. Upon close examination, nobody passes the dozen or so critical litmus tests (anti-tax, anti-immigrant, anti-gay, anti-Obamacare, anti-Social Security, anti-global warming, anti-evolution, Evangelical, pro-Israel, pro-"American Exceptionalism, anti-Defense cuts, yada, yada, yada) that are being used by Talk Radio/Faux to define a conservative (without seeming like a complete lunatic (i.e., Bachmann)).
Of course, precisely none of those pre-requisites you listed are part of any litmus test for any Republican candidate. They are part monikers taken out of the left's play book when they want to try to characterize political opponents.

For example, I've never heard a conservative radio talk show that is "anti-tax". There is certainly a debate about how taxes are levied, whether there should be a tax of any kind on capital, and whether or not our current tax system is helping or hurting our economy. On the contrary, some credit should accrue to Cain and Perry for being willing to open the debate on their economic plans, which include taxes. As far as defense cuts, show me a politician of any stripe who is a fierce advocate of defense spending cuts that impact their home district.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Of course, precisely none of those pre-requisites you listed are part of any litmus test for any Republican candidate.
Are you living in the same country as I am? Romney enjoys lukewarm support, at best, because of Romneycare (Obamacare by a different name). Perry fell from the ranks because of tuition support for children of illegal aliens. Cain just took a ration of sh!t because he slipped up on abortion. During a debate, all 8-10 candidates at the time said the wouldn't be willing to save $10 in spending if it involved $1 in taxes. And on and on .....

Conservative media once worked for the GOP. Now the GOP is working for conservative media and conservative media has painted a picture of the (nonexistent) perfect conservative. Hence, the Kabuki Dance that's going on within the GOP Presidential primary race trying to find their knight in shining armor.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Romney's out because he works for the establishment. And people currently dislike them

Pete
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Are you living in the same country as I am? Romney enjoys lukewarm support, at best, because of Romneycare (Obamacare by a different name). Perry fell from the ranks because of tuition support for children of illegal aliens. Cain just took a ration of sh!t because he slipped up on abortion. During a debate, all 8-10 candidates at the time said the wouldn't be willing to save $10 in spending if it involved $1 in taxes. And on and on .....

Conservative media once worked for the GOP. Now the GOP is working for conservative media and conservative media has painted a picture of the (nonexistent) perfect conservative. Hence, the Kabuki Dance that's going on within the GOP Presidential primary race trying to find their knight in shining armor.
I guess we do. Or maybe its just a case of perspective. A campaign is a long process. Candidates will rise and fall, and campaigns will wax and wain. We'll see how it all shakes out. But the process never delivers "the perfect candidate" for either party.

Obama made some questionable remarks (still does IMHO) during his campaign, and weathered the storm to win the nomination, and then the election. Hell, Obama literally helped create Joe the Plumber, who now may run for a House seat from Ohio.

A pretty good chunk of the Dem base wanted Hillary - including some on this forum. A lot of Dems agreed that they'd rather have Hillary answering the phone at 3:00 AM. Yet, many of those same Dems ended up voting for Obama and not staying home on election day.

There is no "perfect candidate" on either side of the aisle. If there was, we wouldn't have had folks like Dole, Dukakis and Mondale winning their party's nominations.