Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Heck if I know D, this place is extremely moderate compared to most. We're just plain nicer Sometimes it gets heated but they are hot topics.

Seems like a good time to thank you for your thankless work. Thanks.

And thank you Painter for a wonderful post.

Pete
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Now that spring is back in the picture and several months of work have come to an end...I like Bob will look to the positive aspects of the rest of the year. Heaven knows...it won't happen with political talk or any of the news channels.

There are sooo many positive things happening in my life right now. I shall concentrate on the blessings we have received this year.
I wish all of you a healthy and fun filled summer. Tell someone today...that you love them.
Glad to hear things are going well, for you! Enjoy your summer!

Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Somebody give me some ideas about how we can have a spirited debate but still remain civil? Should I actually engage in some moderation besides spam hunting?

Regards,

D-Ray
I guess you could, so long as your moderation remains unbiased. But, I suspect that would be questioned right off the bat.

This is easily the tamest political chat room I have ever encountered. For anyone who disagrees, I can easily link you to some incredibly nasty places. Some of them so bad, they've been shut down by their owners, who gave up on trying to moderate.

Then there are others are strictly discussion boards for one side or the other. Where all they do is tell each other how brilliant they are all day long. So, if what you seek is unhindered validation and a safe echo chamber.........

Just my humble opinion.

Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I guess you could, so long as your moderation remains unbiased. But, I suspect that would be questioned right off the bat.

This is easily the tamest political chat room I have ever encountered. For anyone who disagrees, I can easily link you to some incredibly nasty places. Some of them so bad, they've been shut down by their owners, who gave up on trying to moderate.

Then there are others are strictly discussion boards for one side or the other. Where all they do is tell each other how brilliant they are all day long. So, if what you seek is unhindered validation and a safe echo chamber.........

Just my humble opinion.

Dave
I think the problem comes from those arriving here for the first time accustomed to slinging sh!t like they do at other political chat sites (mezz being the latest). They spew their silly, juvenile chit and it gets our dander up as we try to convert them or run 'em off. Sometimes it gets frustrating when their response is to continue spouting their silly chit and we slide down the slippery slope with them. So be it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Area Man

One that comes to mind that I used to frequent was "Politics360", which no longer exists. (A search for that address now brings up some news site. Not the same thing.)

Politics360 somehow became co-opted by a bunch of prisoners. Aryan Brotherhood and Black Panther types. I'm sure you can imagine what THAT devolved into.........

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-25-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Loyal Opposition

I think a lot of us have come here from AK, and are used to the atmosphere there. I agree that there are political sites that are much harsher than here. Shoot, some of the comments on news sites are pretty nasty. Nevertheless, we are certainly more rough and tumble here than over at AK.

I an inclined against imposing moderation, but would reconsider if there were an overwhelming consensus that it is needed. And Blue is right, it's highly unlikely that there would not be at least some perceived bias. As I've said before, free speech should be the rule of the day on a political site. Those committed to trollish behavior generally end up losing out in the marketplace of ideas.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I think a lot of us have come here from AK, and are used to the atmosphere there. I agree that there are political sites that are much harsher than here. Shoot, some of the comments on news sites are pretty nasty. Nevertheless, we are certainly more rough and tumble here than over at AK.

I an inclined against imposing moderation, but would reconsider if there were an overwhelming consensus that it is needed. And Blue is right, it's highly unlikely that there would not be at least some perceived bias. As I've said before, free speech should be the rule of the day on a political site. Those committed to trollish behavior generally end up losing out in the marketplace of ideas.

Regards,

D-Ray
IMHO everything is fine. Most of us have taken some time away from most all forums particularly political ones.

Some announce a departure some do not.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think the problem comes from those arriving here for the first time accustomed to slinging sh!t like they do at other political chat sites (mezz being the latest). They spew their silly, juvenile chit and it gets our dander up as we try to convert them or run 'em off. Sometimes it gets frustrating when their response is to continue spouting their silly chit and we slide down the slippery slope with them. So be it.
and that is fine also. IMHO of course.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Dave I bet that was a hoot!

D if you moderate you'll make Lenin look like Ghengis Khan in less than 24 hours! lol. But whoa I bet it would be made that way.

Pete
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Admin

Quote:
Somebody give me some ideas about how we can have a spirited debate but still remain civil? Should I actually engage in some moderation besides spam hunting?

Regards,

D-Ray
Categorically, no. D Ray. I like to think we can settle our differences with reason. If that fails, chit slinging works for me.
First amendment advocate here. ( Don't crush that dwarf-hand me the pliers!)
Besides all that - Charlie's got my back.....