Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Allow me to suggest one possible psychoanalysis: they voted for him for the same reason the kid in Good Will Hunting said he picked the wrench. Because fuck-you, that's why.
Yet, Ike thinks I'm a racist for questioning this dynamic. In fact, I've found few arguments for which his reflexive response isn't "You're a racist or anti-Semite."

I suppose he feels that those Ward 8 residents who didn't vote for MB or won't vote for his son are all racists. It must be nice to live in such a simple world.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Allow me to suggest one possible psychoanalysis: they voted for him for the same reason the kid in Good Will Hunting said he picked the wrench. Because fuck-you, that's why.
And for me that's the most appropriate, and maybe even exemplary reason. Considering the state of the country's politics and governance, perhaps the single best reason. It got me thinking to back at the turn of the millenium when Eric Alterman belligerently and repeatedly demanded "why" of all those who voted for Ralph Nader...that would have been the best answer, "Because fuck you Eric...that's why." However comma I don't believe that reason was anywhere near finn's wheelhouse.

PS - IMO one of the great chunks of screenplay in the history of American film.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Likely true, but it seems like self-destructive behavior to me in that their council representative will now either be locked up or stripped of important committee assignments. Not exactly a great way to have one's interested represented.

This is not too different from the Virginia delegate who got re-elected after having knocked up his 17 year old intern and who is now serving in the Virginia House of Delegates on a daily work release program from prison for his dirty deed. He's now facing further charges for submitting a forged document as evidence and lying under oath in the case.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...9fe_story.html

I have little sympathy for an electorate (black or white) who votes in such miscreants to represent them.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
If you have even the slightest clue about Marion Barry's history in this city or Christopher Barry's own criminal past, you'd need no further clarification. However, it goes something like this. MB gets convicted of crack cocaine possession while mayor, quit, served 6 months in prison and successfully runs for city council (also in Ward 8 where his son is doing the same thing).

Then as city council member (while still on probation), he tests positive for coke, gets convicted of tax evasion, gets caught driving drunk several times, fails to pay $2,800 in city traffic tickets, arrested for stalking, stripped of city council committee assignments for directing $8.4 million in contracts to a former girlfriend, and openly criticizing Asian Americans for establishing mom-n-pop shops in (under-served) Ward 8. Despite these transgressions, he never had a problem getting reelected in Ward 8 where he was considered a hero.

Now his son, who had six previous run-ins with the law including serving time for dealing PCP, has been charged with going ape-shit at a bank because the teller won't let him withdraw $20,000 from an overdrawn account. And yet his campaign for the council seat once occupied by his father continues, with a pretty good chance of success.

Why don't you provide me some long-distance psychoanalysis of why people continue to vote for such candidates.
Oh please...nice frothy treatise on the misbehavioral HX of Marion Barry and Christopher Barry. It's not about Christopher Barry, or his behavior, or even some righteously appropriate level of "Oh yeah white people? Go fuck yourself.", from the people of the 8th Ward.

It's about you're fucking eyerolling attitude. Which reeks of "you people."
Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Oh please...nice frothy treatise on the misbehavioral HX of Marion Barry and Christopher Barry. It's not about Christopher Barry, or his behavior, or even some righteously appropriate level of "Oh yeah white people? Go fuck yourself.", from the people of the 8th Ward.

It's about you're fucking eyerolling attitude. Which reeks of "you people."
You asked why I made my comment that he would likely be elected and I offered a response, devoid of any "you people" accusations. I only direct "you people" slights at simple-minded, ideological jagoffs such as yourself, without regard to race.

You can rationalize people electing the likes of Marion Barry, Christopher Barry or Joe Morrissey all you want (see my post above) if it somehow assuages your white guilt. I have none and I won't.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-22-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I only direct "you people" slights at ideological jagoffs such as yourself, without regard to race.
My...my...my...ulnar struck.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
My...my...my...ulnar struck.
Or perhaps patience beyond exhausted.

Give it a rest, Ike. Your obsession with ferreting out bigotry where none exists has all the hallmarks of a pathology, very much like the homophobia exhibited by some closeted gays.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Or perhaps patience beyond exhausted.

Give it a rest, Ike. Your obsession with ferreting out bigotry where none exists has all the hallmarks of a pathology, very much like the homophobia exhibited by some closeted gays.
It was an ugly comment, John. If it's fine with you then it is. It ain't fine with me.

And I'll give it a rest when I think it deserves a rest. What are you...my mother? WTF is this with people on this forum presuming to give other people orders?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
It was an ugly comment, John. If it's fine with you then it is.
You want "ugly"? Here's ugly: "Just establishing his 'street cred' to help his candidacy." -- whell

Or, slightly less ugly: "Seems to me it means 'Aren't those people awful.' A sentiment widely held, with varying values for 'those people.'" -- dq

The latter, despite the fact that finn never said it, seems to be what set you off. Obviously, you were so desperate to jump all over finn (again), you chose to criticize him for sentiments that someone else attributed to him rather than for sentiments he actually revealed.

What finn actually said was, "He'll probably still win the seat."

Given Barry's electoral success, juxtaposed with his criminal history, I can see why he said that. It's easy to arrive at the conclusion finn did without depending on any racial prejudice to do so.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 01-23-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
You want "ugly"? Here's ugly: "Just establishing his 'street cred' to help his candidacy." -- whell

Or, slightly less ugly: "Seems to me it means "Aren't those people awful." A sentiment widely held, with varying values for 'those people.'" -- dq

The latter, despite the fact that finn never said it, seems to be what set you off. Obviously, you were so desperate to jump all over finn (again), you chose to criticize him for sentiments that someone else attributed to him rather than for sentiments he actually revealed.

What finn actually said was, "He'll probably still win the seat."

Given his Barry's electoral success, juxtaposed with his criminal history, I can see why he said that. It's easy to arrive at the conclusion finn did without depending on any racial prejudice to do so.

John
And I commented on your first example already. Maybe you missed it. And what the hell...maybe you're now the forum arbiter of what content is deserving of what response? You want me to check this out with you in a PM before I post...or can we just save a step and process it on the open forum, eh?

Or, how's about we just compromise and you can decide what are and are not ugly enough comments for you...and I'll decide for me. OK mom?