Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Area Man

Have a little truth.

Up until September of 2003, I had what I considered to have been the best job of my life. I made decent money, had the freedom to work on a very diverse range of equipment, and literally learned more every day. I ENJOYED going to work every day.*

To get to the point;

To this day former coworkers blame "Clinton" for the loss of their jobs at the headlamp plant. But the truth is---He had NOTHING to do with it. The only connection is the fact that a Canadian company bought our equipment and contracts---and took everything home with them. That's right. My job went to Windsor, Ontario. Not Mexico, or China,-----Canada. And it had little to nothing to do with NAFTA.

To explain;

In 2000, our CEO in Southfield, Michigan proudly announced a bold expansion initiative he called "B.H.A.G.", Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goal. Under BHAG, upper management would begin the rapid expansion of the company by buying up as many smaller competitors as possible, with the goal being set at 10 billion in sales by 2002. This was done so quickly and carelessly that among the companies aquired were a couple of brake companies who held-----significant asbestos liabilities. The cost of these liabilities reached 3 billion dollars. This cost, coupled with the billions in heavy debt accrued to acheive the BHAG goal drove the company into bankruptcy. THE ROOT CAUSE OF THIS FAILURE IS MANAGERIAL INCOMPETENCE. IT DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING THING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT, OR PRESIDENT CLINTON.

"But, Dave, your job went to Canada."

That's right. It did. Why?

"If we operate here, we have to pay for employee HEALTH INSURANCE. At anywhere from $300 to $1,000 per month per employee, it's prohibitively expensive. So, I'm sorry but the work goes to Canada." This is what we were all told in a meeting held by the new owners.

But, still. When I reminisce with my best friend, who also used to work there and happens to be my current boss, he grits his teeth, and hisses, "That fucking Clinton....".

I like the guy, he's a good friend and a great boss. But, he's brainwashed.
If he finds bird shit on his car----Obama sent them to do it.

Where do you guys suppose this state of mind might have come from?

My thoughts? See attached photos.

Dave

*(I'm thankfull for my current job, it pays better, has a small degree of security which is invaluable in todays economy, but otherwise sucks. I have little to no freedom in this job, most of the equipment is obsolete, etc., but I truly am thankfull to have it. Both jobs were/are non-union, BTW.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rush.jpg (3.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg glenn.jpg (2.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sean.jpg (2.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM

It's hard to believe a business plan labeled B.H A.G. could fail. In a way, it almost sounds like bankruptcy WAS the business plan. Wouldn't be the first time.

Chas
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Resident octogenarian

Company I used to work for was from Canada, but the backers decided tobuy up a similar company in California. Now we used to do $40 million a year while the CA company only did $10 million. However, the backers in their infinite wisdom let the CA company run the combined show. It went belly up in year and a half.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In a way, it almost sounds like bankruptcy WAS the business plan.
Chas
??

Dave
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Area Man

So, beyond the colossal fuck up in Southfield, why did my job end up in Canada?

Dave
Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
??

Dave
Borrow a bunch of money, buy a bunch of companies, pay yourself a lot of money for being so smart, and cash out your stock options at the right time.

Going belly up isn't so bad if you manage to feather your nest first.

Chas
Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Borrow a bunch of money, buy a bunch of companies, pay yourself a lot of money for being so smart, and cash out your stock options at the right time.

Going belly up isn't so bad if you manage to feather your nest first.

Chas
Awesome! Hey, I really admire them for that move! What Great Americans!
We can build a strong, vibrant economy with folks like that at the helm!
We can, can't we?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-25-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So, beyond the colossal fuck up in Southfield, why did my job end up in Canada?

Dave

Living near Southfield, I can tell you theres tons of companies such as yours.

Hoping everything works out for you.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Living near Southfield, I can tell you theres tons of companies such as yours.

Hoping everything works out for you.
Thanks,

I'm doing okay, Grump. As I said I've got a good job, everything has turned out okay. But, I'm trying to make a few points with this little (true) story.
The story is seven years old, now. But, I think it's relevant to current events.

Think about it.

Dave
Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Up until September of 2003, I had what I considered to have been the best job of my life. I made decent money, had the freedom to work on a very diverse range of equipment, and literally learned more every day. I ENJOYED going to work every day.*

To get to the point;

To this day former coworkers blame "Clinton" for the loss of their jobs at the headlamp plant. But the truth is---He had NOTHING to do with it. The only connection is the fact that a Canadian company bought our equipment and contracts---and took everything home with them. That's right. My job went to Windsor, Ontario. Not Mexico, or China,-----Canada. And it had little to nothing to do with NAFTA.

To explain;

In 2000, our CEO in Southfield, Michigan proudly announced a bold expansion initiative he called "B.H.A.G.", Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goal. Under BHAG, upper management would begin the rapid expansion of the company by buying up as many smaller competitors as possible, with the goal being set at 10 billion in sales by 2002. This was done so quickly and carelessly that among the companies aquired were a couple of brake companies who held-----significant asbestos liabilities. The cost of these liabilities reached 3 billion dollars. This cost, coupled with the billions in heavy debt accrued to acheive the BHAG goal drove the company into bankruptcy. THE ROOT CAUSE OF THIS FAILURE IS MANAGERIAL INCOMPETENCE. IT DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING THING TO DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT, OR PRESIDENT CLINTON.

"But, Dave, your job went to Canada."

That's right. It did. Why?

"If we operate here, we have to pay for employee HEALTH INSURANCE. At anywhere from $300 to $1,000 per month per employee, it's prohibitively expensive. So, I'm sorry but the work goes to Canada." This is what we were all told in a meeting held by the new owners.

But, still. When I reminisce with my best friend, who also used to work there and happens to be my current boss, he grits his teeth, and hisses, "That fucking Clinton....".

I like the guy, he's a good friend and a great boss. But, he's brainwashed.
If he finds bird shit on his car----Obama sent them to do it.

Where do you guys suppose this state of mind might have come from?

My thoughts? See attached photos.

Dave

*(I'm thankfull for my current job, it pays better, has a small degree of security which is invaluable in todays economy, but otherwise sucks. I have little to no freedom in this job, most of the equipment is obsolete, etc., but I truly am thankfull to have it. Both jobs were/are non-union, BTW.)
Whats with the three stooges?