Go Back   Political Forums > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:53 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I am reasonably certain that I am not running people off as most of my posts get ignored.
Hardly!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Take a look at my post count per day versus many other members here, then take a look at the content of the posts, then tell me that I am running people off.
Just seems to me you've been pushing a narrative that the liberals here are a nasty bunch, and to blame for all trouble.

Did not say you were running anyone off, and I don't buy the idea that anyone has actually been run off.

Pukah Sahib left, but he had no nastiness directed at him. He and I criticized each others ideas, a bit sharply a couple of times, but we never made it personal.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Just seems to me you've been pushing a narrative that the liberals here are a nasty bunch, and to blame for all trouble.

Did not say you were running anyone off, and I don't buy the idea that anyone has actually been run off.

Pukah Sahib left, but he had no nastiness directed at him. He and I criticized each others ideas, a bit sharply a couple of times, but we never made it personal.
I am not placing blame on either of the sides. I am placing blame on any and all who let their emotions get the best of them. Pukah Sahib left, in his own words (paraphrased) because he believed that there was not enough serious discussion. I interpreted that to mean that he grew weary of the number of insults (not necessarily aimed at him) populating so many of the posts. Other valued posters have quit posting to the site and it is my belief that the reasons are the same. There is an unnecessary amount of invective, name calling, and bullying that goes on here and in my opinion it makes it uncomfortable for some people. I, for one, welcome anyone's posts no matter if it is one hundred and eighty degrees away from my beliefs. I just don't see why it has to get personal.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Ready

I welcome the post of anyone who posts honestly and with normal good will.

I recognize that purposeful dishonesty and malice can mess this place up, and I dispute the idea that calling for such to stop is harmful.

I of course agree that heaping abuse on posters, even ones who are themselves abusive, can get out of hand. I try not to do that sort of thing, but in criticizing dishonesty and malice, I may get a bit over the line at times....
Old 03-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I am not placing blame on either of the sides.
JJ, I think you do just that. I can recall no instance where you've specifically referenced an angry, hostile or offensive post coming from the right. In my experience here, you seem to reserve such criticism for those whose ideology you don't share. I think this is perfectly normal and I recognize my own bias in that regard but please don't claim to be neutral here.

Quote:
Pukah Sahib left, in his own words (paraphrased) because he believed that there was not enough serious discussion. I interpreted that to mean that he grew weary of the number of insults (not necessarily aimed at him) populating so many of the posts.
Well, Pukka Sahib has been a member here for 4 years. I suspect he knew what he was getting in for and I suspect that his somewhat censorious final post was more a response to his not being treated with the requisite degree of respect and awe.

Quote:
Other valued posters have quit posting to the site and it is my belief that the reasons are the same.
My time here is admittedly on and off so I'm sure many posters have come and gone during my several "vacations" but I can think of nobody, other than a couple of right wing trolls and sock puppets who have left. Of those, the reason for their departure has always been that they were challenged at every turn, both on the basis of fact and in terms of the absence of any indication that they wanted to be an honest participant in the discussions here. I don't consider such people to be valued.

John
Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
JJ, I think you do just that. I can recall no instance where you've specifically referenced an angry, hostile or offensive post coming from the right. In my experience here, you seem to reserve such criticism for those whose ideology you don't share. I think this is perfectly normal and I recognize my own bias in that regard but please don't claim to be neutral here.

Perhaps I have some self examination to do.

Well, Pukka Sahib has been a member here for 4 years. I suspect he knew what he was getting in for and I suspect that his somewhat censorious final post was more a response to his not being treated with the requisite degree of respect and awe.

I tend to agree with you here.

My time here is admittedly on and off so I'm sure many posters have come and gone during my several "vacations" but I can think of nobody, other than a couple of right wing trolls and sock puppets who have left. Of those, the reason for their departure has always been that they were challenged at every turn, both on the basis of fact and in terms of the absence of any indication that they wanted to be an honest participant in the discussions here. I don't consider such people to be valued.

John
Take a look at the membership list and see how many used to post, more or less on a regular basis, and no longer do so.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I welcome the post of anyone who posts honestly and with normal good will.

I recognize that purposeful dishonesty and malice can mess this place up, and I dispute the idea that calling for such to stop is harmful.

I of course agree that heaping abuse on posters, even ones who are themselves abusive, can get out of hand. I try not to do that sort of thing, but in criticizing dishonesty and malice, I may get a bit over the line at times....
We are on the same page here.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Take a look at the membership list and see how many used to post, more or less on a regular basis, and no longer do so.
Interesting, I noted that the ones who came with a big splash left after something between 370 and 500 posts. Others left after less than 100 posts and recalling some of the names I suspect it was boredom.

Tillich has some interesting comments on human interaction, it's going to take a second or third pass through the book to absorb it all.

The one who left with less than 10 posts I suspect were people who looked in to see what was happening, found little to interest them and bowed out.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
I am not placing blame on either of the sides. I am placing blame on any and all who let their emotions get the best of them. Pukah Sahib left, in his own words (paraphrased) because he believed that there was not enough serious discussion. I interpreted that to mean that he grew weary of the number of insults (not necessarily aimed at him) populating so many of the posts. Other valued posters have quit posting to the site and it is my belief that the reasons are the same. There is an unnecessary amount of invective, name calling, and bullying that goes on here and in my opinion it makes it uncomfortable for some people. I, for one, welcome anyone's posts no matter if it is one hundred and eighty degrees away from my beliefs. I just don't see why it has to get personal.
I simply enjoy annoying, arguing with and ridiculing individuals whose ideology is repugnant to me. I guess this makes me an occasional troll. So sue me for being me. I rarely get emotional, in fact most of the time I'm ranting, I'm enjoying it.

If there was no "invective", this place would be as fun as a library on Sunday. And, I suspect that some who have come and gone, citing an "unfriendly" atmosphere were merely seeking an echo chamber to validate their beliefs. Their idea of a "friendly environment" is one wherein they control the narrative. Some of them were no slouches when it came to hurling insults themselves.

One whose come and gone repeatedly, recently asked me if I'd considered suicide........

But, I'm supposed to be cordial and polite to him?

On a cold day in hell, John.

Dave
Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM

My impression was that Pukka Sahib was just pasting other people's quotes.