Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Admin

'Nixon Tried to Spoil Johnson’s Vietnam Peace Talks in ’68, Notes Show'

"Richard M. Nixon told an aide that they should find a way to secretly “monkey wrench” peace talks in Vietnam in the waning days of the 1968 campaign for fear that progress toward ending the war would hurt his chances for the presidency, according to newly discovered notes.
In a telephone conversation with H. R. Haldeman, who would go on to become White House chief of staff, Nixon gave instructions that a friendly intermediary should keep “working on” South Vietnamese leaders to persuade them not to agree to a deal before the election, according to the notes, taken by Mr. Haldeman.
The Nixon campaign’s clandestine effort to thwart President Lyndon B. Johnson’s peace initiative that fall has long been a source of controversy and scholarship. Ample evidence has emerged documenting the involvement of Nixon’s campaign. But Mr. Haldeman’s notes appear to confirm longstanding suspicions that Nixon himself was directly involved, despite his later denials." NY Times

Nixon went on to add ~28,000 more names to the Vietnam War Memorial on the Mall in Washington D.C. and countless more dead in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:23 AM

Yep, not a new story but it does need to be remembered. That was 28,000 US soldier body bags, but there were plenty others as well. Not to the tune of GW Bush's 450,000 humans in bodybags though.

Carl
Old 01-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Doncha know, that's how republicans "stimulate the economy"...by building bombs and coffins.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Rumored Reagan and Bush started the Iran arms deal much the same way in the 1980 election with he hostages.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobe...spiracy_theory

Guess all that matters is winning!

Barney
Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Rumored Reagan and Bush started the Iran arms deal much the same way in the 1980 election with he hostages.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobe...spiracy_theory

Guess all that matters is winning!

Barney
Yes, I remember that as well, also IIRC Carter had already arranged the release, but the timing with the election and the mindset of the sheeple of the USA was not there. Much like HHH had the pullout promised and ready to go but Tricky Dick put the fix in, just like Watergate for his second term. And RMN was brought up a Quaker too lol.

Carl
Old 01-03-2017, 12:42 PM

To call our political system the best in the world is pretty much a pile of crap. Our political system is as corrupt as the worst of them.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Ready

You think that now? They're hardly getting started!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, 9/11.............
Old 01-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Rational Anarchist

Remember the Maine!