Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Right to repair act ?

http://www.righttorepair.org/

Next they will want dealers to supply code readers and mech training to new car buyers..
Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Truth is, that the auto industry has a really tough time keeping up with emergent technology, even at the manufacturer level. From the drawing board to the showroom for just about anything, even something as simple (or not) as an MP3 linkup takes a good 18 months.

To scramble to meet constantly changing emissions standards and the public demand for this or that, the diagnostic systems aren't even perfected at a dealer level sometimes until a year after the car's been on the road. Pushing too much too fast.

Sign of the times, though.....the small mechanic can either invest in the equipment or go out of business. I see they feature Honda quite prevalently in that ad. Funny thing is, that with a code scanner, updated software, and a subscription to Alldata, there's nothing on a Honda that they can't fix.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:09 PM

Kamakiri,

I've devined that your work in the new car industry, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

To the best of my understanding, they tend to make more on a used car than a new one, but their bread and butter comes from repairs.

BTW, I've been to a dealership ONE time for repairs, and they charged me $100 for a new fuel filter.

I should have known better.
Chas
Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Resident octogenarian

The one I love is the dumping of a $5 can of solvent into a vacuum hose to "Remove the carbon from the intake manifold" all for a mere $125
Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Oh believe me I am not in any way defending dealers here. I just don't think its the the gov's job to intervene.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Gubbmitt intervention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Oh believe me I am not in any way defending dealers here. I just don't think its the the gov's job to intervene.
Can't argue with you there.

Chas
Old 07-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Kamakiri,

I've devined that your work in the new car industry, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

To the best of my understanding, they tend to make more on a used car than a new one, but their bread and butter comes from repairs.
Assumption #1 is correct, and dealers make thousands more on a used car, per.

There used to be a thing called "absorption rate" at a dealership, with the theory that service and parts paid all of the expenses of a dealership, and that the sales provides the profits, and is therefore the "gravy". This hasn't been so since cars started becoming bulletproof and people got used to doing oil changes at 6K rather than 3K, etc.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Autos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Assumption #1 is correct, and dealers make thousands more on a used car, per.

There used to be a thing called "absorption rate" at a dealership, with the theory that service and parts paid all of the expenses of a dealership, and that the sales provides the profits, and is therefore the "gravy". This hasn't been so since cars started becoming bulletproof and people got used to doing oil changes at 6K rather than 3K, etc.
Interesting. I have no automobile dealers in my tiny circle of friends.

Thank you for your response.

Chas
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Used to be that parts and service was the meat and potatoes, now it's seen by many dealerships as a necessary evil. More often than not, parts and service is a break even now that maintenance schedules are stretched to such extremes.

Now, rather than selling the typical things that used to go wrong in cars, most parts managers walk in praying to get a good wreck order to keep them in the black.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:37 AM

Same thing's happening here. Ten years ago, a friend of mine who used to run the local garage invested in £10,000 worth of Bosch diagnostic equipment on the understanding that it could be upgraded every year. Now he finds some manufacturers are restricting updates to main dealers only.