Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
It's gotten so bad now that you are penalized if you pay cash at gas stations....they make you stand in line 1-3 times by making you pre-pay. And do you get a discount? No, you pay the same rate as card payers but the gas station keeps the banks commission.
I stopped paying cash for gas several years ago.

It's a pain in the ass.

First you have to stand in line behind everyone buying their cigarettes, beer, junk food and lottery tickets. Then you have to guess how much gas your car will take. Then if you guess too high and it won't take what you guessed you have to go back in and stand in line again and wait for your change.

Motels are another thing you have to have a credit card for. If you try to pay for your room with cash they look at you like you are a criminal and make you put up an extra $100 deposit in addition to paying for the room upfront.

So even though I am trying to resist the cashless society that the bastards are trying to force on us, they are wearing me down little by little.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 07-31-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It's gotten so bad now that you are penalized if you pay cash at gas stations....they make you stand in line 1-3 times by making you pre-pay. And do you get a discount? No, you pay the same rate as card payers but the gas station keeps the banks commission.
There are several chain gas stations here in Arizona that give a discount for cash payment.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford View Post
There are several chain gas stations here in Arizona that give a discount for cash payment.
I've never seen a penalty for cash. Around here, there are numerous stations that charge $.05 more for credit card payments (to compensate for the charges they pay to the credit card companies).
Old 07-31-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

Motels are another thing you have to have a credit card for. If you try to pay for your room with cash they look at you like you are a criminal and make you put up an extra $100 deposit in addition to paying for the room upfront.
When they ask for the additional $100, I'd say "show me the hooker first"
Old 07-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I've never seen a penalty for cash. Around here, there are numerous stations that charge $.05 more for credit card payments (to compensate for the charges they pay to the credit card companies).
I've never seen a monetary penalty.

But the having to pre-pay and wait in line is penalty enough to me.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:24 PM

Here in the Bay Area a lot of gas stations charge an additional $0.08 to $0.10 per gallon to use a credit card. I now have an ATM card just for filling gas only to find out that certain stations charge an additional transaction fee. So if I save $2.00 per fill up, I give back $0.65. The system is rigged.

Note: I mostly use Safeway gas stations where they do not charge ATM fees.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I've never seen a monetary penalty.

But the having to pre-pay and wait in line is penalty enough to me.
Agreed. There is a chain of gas stations around here (FreeState) that are invariably $.05/gallon cheaper than any competitor. However, they don't accept credit cards (and are therefore rarely crowded). I get generous enough kickbacks on gas purchases on my credit card that I never consider paying cash for gas.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM

one thing good about having no money is ,no debt. In a lot of ways I have no stress about paying my debtors,Utilities and rent are covered,house is so old everything that is going to wear is long worn out a while back.Like the say more money ,more problems.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM

At AM PM there is a .35 cent charge if you use a debit card (same as cash from your checking account). On the plus side is they have the cash machines where you can put the money in right there at the pump....the only downer is that you have to go inside to get any change that you are owed.

And one time I put in 40 bucks and got screwed out of my change for some reason....
the thing said it did not owe me change and the clerks did not believe me...but I know I had some money coming back.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
one thing good about having no money is ,no debt. In a lot of ways I have no stress about paying my debtors,Utilities and rent are covered,house is so old everything that is going to wear is long worn out a while back.Like the say more money ,more problems.
That brightened my day, thanks one1.

Pete