Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Then I could swap a built 440 in there, look you up, race the Bluestreak, and see how badly an old musclecar gets beaten by a new one.

Pete
Old 08-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Persona non grata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-BYVeCv6U
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Btw, I went with my uncle years back to a employee tour at Ford in St Louis. It was cool as heck, particularly as my uncle said hell with the yellow line we were supposed to follow and went where ever he wanted. Even back then (early 80s) they had tons of automation.

Pete
Back in the 70's I considered a job at that plant. They made the big bucks then, about $10.00 an hour. Got a job with the railroad instead.

Glad I did. I wouldn't want to be associated with the cars of that era.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Area Man

My Dad said that when he retired in '85 he was making, "....a little over eighteen an hour." He was a maintenance mechanic, like me. My plant is non-union, but I make a little over twenty nine an hour. However, he also had a union pension for life that he and my Mom lived fairly well on until they both passed five years ago.

I have a 401k that may or may not be worth a shit 15 years from now and the fading hope that the bastard politicians who scream "socializm" at SS and Medicare won't kill it before I get to use it.

Dave
Old 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM

I'm noticing a lot of guys my age are retiring early...like in their late 50's. Work just got too stressful. (well...one is dying of cancer so he don't count)

I'm looking to semi-retire next year myself. Been on this job 25 years and that's long enough. The missus says she'll support me.

Does that make me a gigolo?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yes.

Pete
Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I'm noticing a lot of guys my age are retiring early...like in their late 50's. Work just got too stressful. (well...one is dying of cancer so he don't count)

I'm looking to semi-retire next year myself. Been on this job 25 years and that's long enough. The missus says she'll support me.

Does that make me a gigolo?
Naw, just a well 'kept man' Potter.

Another late fifties slacker here. The last 25 years have given me bad knees and a torn rotater which has taken the wind out of my sails. Someone else can lift that barge and tote those kitchen cabinets as far as I'm concerned.