Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:04 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Only folks with enough money can discount the importance of money in our culture.
And the level of income that buys you happiness has risen from $75K to $500K, per the folks who believe these kind of silly studies.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/money-h...-versus-75000/
Old 03-18-2023, 08:50 AM

Libertarians are the folks who preach that the bullies will behave themselves when the teacher leaves the room.

No supervision, no rules, no accountability, the system runs itself because, "meritocracy!".
Aka, manifest destiny. If I can take what I want by any means at my disposal, God intended 'I' have it!
"I've got mine, fuck you!" Randism distilled.

And that is why I rejected libertarianism and reject libertarians, they enable the bullies.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-18-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Libertarians are the folks who preach that the bullies will behave themselves when the teacher leaves the room.

No supervision, no rules, no accountability, the system runs itself because, "meritocracy"!
Aka, manifest destiny. If I can take what I want by any means at my disposal, God intended 'I' have it!
"I've got mine, fuck you!" Randism distilled.

And that is why I rejected libertarianism and reject libertarians, they enable the bullies.
Just ask the former residents of the Love Canal neighborhood of Niagra Falls, NY if they think the self-correcting nature of American commerce did them any good.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:08 AM
Banned

Although I despised pretty much everything about the Koch brothers, I found them to be more honest than most American libertarians on two issues. On the issue of abortion, both brothers always insisted that what a woman and her physician decide is the best treatment for her is none of their business. The same goes for who one chooses for a partner in their primary relationship.

On the other hand they consistently supported political candidates who did not subscribe to their personal beliefs on abortion and marriage...so who fucking cares what their personal beliefs are/were.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:59 PM
Ready

"There are no athiests in foxholes. There are no libertarians in bank runs."
Old 04-18-2023, 07:01 PM

The US economy could depend on McCarthy corralling his extremist Republican troops
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/polit...ing/index.html

Seriously, Whell, how does anyone vote Repube anymore? What a sorry bunch of a$$holes.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
The US economy could depend on McCarthy corralling his extremist Republican troops
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/polit...ing/index.html

Seriously, Whell, how does anyone vote Repube anymore? What a sorry bunch of a$$holes.
Yeah, what a bunch of a$$holes. They were elected with a pretty clear message from their constituents to attack spending, and there they are attempting to deliver on it.

You can argue about the strategy that McCarthy and company are pursuing, but it doesn't negate the need to stop pushing the US further into debt.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:10 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Yeah, what a bunch of a$$holes. They were elected with a pretty clear message from their constituents to attack spending, and there they are attempting to deliver on it.

You can argue about the strategy that McCarthy and company are pursuing, but it doesn't negate the need to stop pushing the US further into debt.
Bullshit with a capitol B. First of all, the MAGA base doesn't want a reduction in social programs. Trump has roundly criticized any cuts to Social Security and Medicare, two programs that have widespread support across the political spectrum.

Secondly, Republicans don't have a "clear message" about spending. Otherwise, they would have a cogent plan in hand. They don't. You also once believed that the Republicans had a comprehensive plan to "repeal and replace" Obamacare. They didn't then and they don't now.

And lastly, threatening to not pay the bills for spending/programs already approved and appropriated will actually increase the cost of borrowing thereby increasing the debt.

Once again, you show your economic illiteracy.

Last edited by finnbow; 04-19-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Bullshit with a capitol B. First of all, the MAGA base doesn't want a reduction in social programs. Trump has roundly criticized any cuts to Social Security and Medicare, two programs that have widespread support across the political spectrum.
Except that they do, and your friends on the left are angry about it. Please get your story straight.

Here's more Dem "scare 'em about spending cuts" messaging:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-cut-spending/

Using past proposals, Biden said the GOP could try to slash Medicaid and Obamacare benefits, as well as Social Security and Medicare.

“What are they going to cut? That’s the big question,” Biden said Tuesday. “For millions of Americans, health care hangs in the balance.”

Quote:
Secondly, Republicans don't have a "clear message" about spending. Otherwise, they would have a cogent plan in hand. They don't.
Here we can agree. The MSM certainly won't favorably or even objectively report on any Repub spending plans, so they need to find a way to get their messaging out. And do it in a way that's clear and convincing. They have failed miserably on this.

However, the Dems aren't talking serious about reducing the debt/deficit at all. In fact, Biden's budget if adopted would increase both the deficit and the debt. So, you and yours are in no position to talk about "lacking a plan", unless your plan is to make things worse from a budget/debt perspective.

Quote:
And lastly, threatening to not pay the bills for spending/programs already approved and appropriated will actually increase the cost of borrowing thereby increasing the debt.
The increasing debt and spending, inflation, and the Fed's rate hikes have already increased the cost of borrowing.

In February, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projected that annual net interest costs would total $640 billion in 2023 and double over the upcoming decade, soaring from $739 billion in 2024 to $1.4 trillion in 2033 and summing to $10.5 trillion over that period. However, if inflation is higher than CBO’s projections and if the Fed raises interest rates by larger amounts than the agency projected, such costs may rise even faster than anticipated.

Quote:
Once again, you show your economic illiteracy.
Once again, you bloviate too much.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:41 AM
Jigsawed

The system (especially the feature of the 2 year span of major elections) has paralyzed the politicians. They just make noise and try to avoid doing anything substantive which might cost them.

The meme is - Not On My Watch.