Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Nope. When the cloud cover goes away, the heat escapes and the temperature drops. I would think a Canadian would know this.

Dave
at night
Old 01-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

Actually, even after the sun comes out, it takes awhile for the angle from the sun to balance out earth's radiation of heat into the atmosphere. In the absence of other atmospheric factors, the balance of the radiation of heat will once again shift to negative heat gain after the sun lowers its angle later in the afternoon. Cloud cover will of course insulate the radiation from both directions.

BTW, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Area Man

Yeah, whatever. Details, details......................

Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
We got a GOOD 5-6" rite now, & they're callin' for an additional 3-5" B4 it ends...But at least its a "Fluffy" snow, & we haven't lost power...Knock on wood...

We got it also, except after it added up, it turn to sleet and so here we have a solid inch of ice over 5'' of snow. Just drove to town a while ago, and roads are packed 3-4'' solid with no chance of a plow or salt truck out here. Only the main, main hwy's here get attention, so everyone else is fucked in the hills. My 4x4 ATV ( Suzuki 4 wheeler ) is the only thing that made it over the hills out of the holler TODAY, and it's nearly 5 miles of hill after twisting hill to the main 2 lane hwy. I seen the MAIN hwy still has ice about 2'' thick on every shaded area so it's only clear in the flatter open stretches where sunlight hits. Every shaded hill on the main hwy is still solid ice even though it's been salted to hell and back. They could plow it, but that'd be wasting tax dollars because it could cause chipping of the pavement and that'd mean havin' to repave wasting our tax dollars. Thats one thing I give 'em real credit for here, and thats making sure our main hwy's are the smoothest in the nation. Thats probly why the 40k rated Summit tires on my truck have lasted ten years as of this month and have 106k on them. Front ends don't get beat all to hell so tie rods & ball joints last for decades and they stay aligned for years. Ain't toutched a thing under my truck in ten years .. same tires .. and same brakes I installed ten years ago when I aligned the front end Myself and installed the tires by hand and balanced them myself with a home-made hillbilly trick that does the job nicely .. ten years later, still no shimmy at any speed .. and all 4 are worn out evenly slick with no uneven pattern on any of them. And to think .. I only made it to grade six. So why can't these REAL SCHOOL TRAINED mechanics align a front end correctly .. so's the tires'll last at least to .. or beyond their ratings? Is it because they dunno how? Or do they just fear that they'll go broke if customers don't have to come back as often to give them more money? There's just no excuse for a front end to keep needing re-alignments on smooth roads if no parts are worn out. My wifes 2000 Cougar has been to the dealer twice to be re-aligned and the tires have only lasted 1 year twice in a row. It'll be a pain in the ass as it's a 4 wheel alignment deal .. but it looks like I'm going to have to fight the car myself ... like I did my truck ten years ago .. in order to get it right.

Last edited by hillbilly; 01-31-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
We got it also, except after it added up, it turn to sleet and so here we have a solid inch of ice over 5'' of snow. Just drove to town a while ago, and roads are packed 3-4'' solid with no chance of a plow of salt truck out here. Only the main, main hwy's here get attention, so everyone else is fucked in the hills. My 4x4 ATV ( Suzuki 4 wheeler ) is the only thing that made it over the hills out of the holler TODAY, and it's nearly 5 miles of hill after twisting hill to the main 2 lane hwy. I seen the MAIN hwy still has ice about 2'' thick on every shaded area so it's only clear in the flatter open stretches where sunlight hits. Every shaded hill on the main hwy is still solid ice even though it's been salted to hell and back. They could plow it, but that'd be wasting tax dollars because it could cause chipping of the pavement and that'd mean havin' to repave wasting our tax dollars. Thats one thing I give 'em real credit for here, and thats making sure our main hwy's are the smoothest in the nation. Thats probly why the 40k rated Summit tires on my truck have lasted ten years as of this month and have 106k on them. Front ends don't get beat all to hell so tie rods & ball joints last for decades and they stay aligned for years. Ain't toutched a thing under my truck in ten years .. same tires .. and same brakes I installed ten years ago when I aligned the front end Myself and installed the tires by hand and balanced them myself with a home-made hillbilly trick that does the job nicely .. ten years later, still no shimmy at any speed .. and all 4 are worn out evenly slick with no uneven pattern on any of them. And to think .. I only made it to grade six. So why can't these REAL SCHOOL TRAINED mechanics align a front end correctly .. so's the tires'll last beyond their ratings? Is it because they dunno how? Or do they just fear that they'll go broke if customers don't have to come back as often to give them more money?
Being educated doesn't necessarily equate with being smart, and vice-versa. I have an immense amount of respect for people who can make machines behave. Machines more often take control of me before I take control of them.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have an immense amount of respect for people who can make machines behave. Machines more often take control of me before I take control of them.

Regards,

D-Ray
Why Thank You, kind Barrister.

It does take a special kind of gift to make the average whirly-gig contraption hum like a bee. And an even more special "wielder of the wrench" to keep a production line full of them 300 feet long, spinning like a top for eight solid hours.

I should know, I am such a beast. Second generation as a matter of fact.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Loyal Opposition

Before he went to work for the post office, my dad worked as an airline mechanic and taught airline mechanics at a local tech school. He brought us up with the expectation that we would go ahead to college, but I have always loved to fix things, even if I am not very good at it. Mom's last husband was also a retired airline mechanic. The guys I have been representing are sheet metal workers, which also includes AC and heating service. There are a number of very bright guys in that group.

My best witness was a also in the Naval Reserve as a Chief Petty Officer, with 10 months in Iraq under his belt. He answered all of the questions yes sir, no sir or no ma'am, credibility running out of the wazoo. His testimony was a big part of my closing argument - the theme being that the union is not afraid of the truth. I guess the point is that I have so much respect for these guys, it makes it easy to do my job with a clear conscience. I would rather sell shoes than defend insurance companies, or chase ambulances for that matter.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 02-01-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well we got summat like 4 inches here and I was planning on getting out the snowblower but Gray showed up with his plow so that took care of the snow.

Tomorrow's forecast.

Last edited by merrylander; 07-12-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Well we got summat like 4 inches here and I was planning on getting out the snowblower but Gray showed up with his plow so that took care of the snow.

Tomorrow's forecast.
A little photoshop involved in that bird up in the sky?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Resident octogenarian

I imagine there was, but that's the way I received it.