Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Loyal Opposition

Truth Justice and the American Worker

As I've rambled on about here I have been pretty busy preparing a case. I have represented a union in a dispute that has been going on for about eight years now, from the EEOC to the federal district court to the court of appeals and back to the federal court. The eight year struggle took about forty minutes to end well as the jury came back with a verdict for the union. The union has spent hundreds of thousands to prove that if fairly operated its referral system and that it didn't retaliate against the plaintiffs by letting the union's owners (the members) know how much they were spending on fees.

The case has represented a huge investment in time emotion as well as money. The 18-22 hour days lately paid off. All I can say right now is

yippie!!!!!!!

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
As I've rambled on about here I have been pretty busy preparing a case. I have represented a union in a dispute that has been going on for about eight years now, from the EEOC to the federal district court to the court of appeals and back to the federal court. The eight year struggle took about forty minutes to end well as the jury came back with a verdict for the union. The union has spent hundreds of thousands to prove that if fairly operated its referral system and that it didn't retaliate against the plaintiffs by letting the union's owners (the members) know how much they were spending on fees.

The case has represented a huge investment in time emotion as well as money. The 18-22 hour days lately paid off. All I can say right now is

yippie!!!!!!!

Regards,

D-Ray
That's great,Don! Congratulations!

Solidarity forever!

John
Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 AM

Good for you ! While I'm no great fan of unions, what's right is right, & what's fair is fair. The big thing about unions nowadays is that a lot of 'em that I've seen are no better than some of the big corporations-The Big Dawgs at the top get the gravy, & the rest of us have to go dip sop. However, there's one here, IBEW local 934, that I would not hesitate in the least to recommend to anyone needing industrial grade electrical work done-Those guys are Professionals in every sense of the word. We used them extensively when we were doing renovations in our factory, & when they wired a press or other piece of machinery up, it was done RIGHT-When they handed it over to us, we could run production from the get-go. As my granfather, Fritz, would have said, "They knew what they were doing..."
Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

Congratulations Don!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Congrat's Don. Pop a cork on some good bubbly and unlax a bit.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Good for you ! While I'm no great fan of unions, what's right is right, & what's fair is fair. The big thing about unions nowadays is that a lot of 'em that I've seen are no better than some of the big corporations-The Big Dawgs at the top get the gravy, & the rest of us have to go dip sop. However, there's one here, IBEW local 934, that I would not hesitate in the least to recommend to anyone needing industrial grade electrical work done-Those guys are Professionals in every sense of the word. We used them extensively when we were doing renovations in our factory, & when they wired a press or other piece of machinery up, it was done RIGHT-When they handed it over to us, we could run production from the get-go. As my granfather, Fritz, would have said, "They knew what they were doing..."
These are sheet metal workers. They take pride that they are the only craft whose work takes them all the way from raw material through installed product. They are indeed professionals who expect a lot from themselves. The apprenticeship program is now five years. The leadership of the union is the most professional bunch I have been around in representing several unions.

Anyway, thanks for the the good words. It was a long journey to get here, so the success was extra sweet.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Area Man

Congratulations, Counselor!!!

I believe you have done the right thing, BTW.

Dave
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM

One of these guys was the conduit guy. Big deal, right, runnin' conduit ? A trained monkey oughta be able to do that, right ? Well...Not so fast, Bunkie. This guy was an artist, he could take 8-10 runs of 2" conduit, have 'em make 90 degree bends, in ever decreasing arcs, & have it look like it was MADE that way. He'd kinda perfunctory make measurements, but a lot of it he did by eye, & the 30 years worth of being a journeyman electrician. I'd sit down in the maint area, or the break room, & listen to these guys spin tales of wiring skyscrapers all over N. America...Or re-doing a shipyard in New Iberia, Louisiana... Typically, they got to do their thing right after the steel skeleton for the building was finished-Way before the windows & walls were put up, so you'd be on the top of a 50-story building in Pittsburgh in January.....Much fun...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Used to watch some of our cable guys bend 606 pair stalpeth or even lead covered cable like a bunch of artists.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Congrats on completing your mission successfully!

It's good to see hard work and a plan come together

RC