Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

We have little contact with this new generation seeing as how family is spread around quite far. I get emails from nieces and nephews occasionaly that makes me hopeful. I also (when I get someone in this country and not India) get to interact with young people in customer serivce desks who make me hopeful. I think that our parents may well have wondered about our generation.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-17-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I don't think they are morons. Just full of even more greed and non caring about anything other then themselves, then my generation.
I disagree.

But even if you are correct it would be our fault.
We are the ones that brought them up, however they are.

Speaking for myself, my kids are light years ahead of where I was.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Area Man

I think yins all misunderstood what I was saying. These kids give me hope. Sure, there are dolts in every crowd.

To me, it's my generation that's greedy as hell and hopelessly selfish. I've met a some of these young folks that seem pretty dang sharp. And they don't seem to be as loaded down with the same prejudices that my generation has either. And that, all by itself is a great thing IMO.

Dave
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think yins all misunderstood what I was saying. These kids give me hope. Sure, there are dolts in every crowd.

To me, it's my generation that's greedy as hell and hopelessly selfish. I've met a some of these young folks that seem pretty dang sharp. And they don't seem to be as loaded down with the same prejudices that my generation has either. And that, all by itself is a great thing IMO.

Dave
Late in the '08 campaign, my son and I were discussing how the economy was helping Obama in his lead. I told my son that with everything going on, it would be a runaway if Obama was white. His response: "You're kidding." That generation sees race on completely different terms.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
It's the up-coming generation that sold me on Obama. When I saw the way he had energized young people - actually motivated them to get involved - I quit worrying about the lack of a national vetting, etc.

Regards,

D-Ray

Knew I didnt like the little bastards for a good reason
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I disagree.

But even if you are correct it would be our fault.
We are the ones that brought them up, however they are.

Speaking for myself, my kids are light years ahead of where I was.
Oh I am not talking about the ones I brought up. Its all the dipshits who dont know the meaning of the word No, who are popping out kids.

Not patting myself on the back but I am proud to introduce my kids to others. Some people should be ashamed of what they have done to the next gens..
Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Oh I am not talking about the ones I brought up. Its all the dipshits who dont know the meaning of the word No, who are popping out kids.

Not patting myself on the back but I am proud to introduce my kids to others.
And you have good reason to, I met them at the Fest in 07.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:

Not patting myself on the back but I am proud to introduce my kids to others. Some people should be ashamed of what they have done to the next gens..
If we're not proud of the job we have done with out kids, we should be worried. As far as saying "No," parents who learn that early on have a much easier job. When our kids were toddlers, my wife and I agreed that whoever answered first, provided the definitive answer, and that the other parent was not the court of appeals. It is amazing how much energy both the parents and the kids saved by not having to battle over whether "No" means "No." Indeed, one of my wife's favorite lines was that "If you beg, "maybe" becomes "No."" Of course, when we asked them if they had done their homework, "Yes" meant "we will on the way to school tomorrow."

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

I think a lot of the impressions we get are due to today's hell bent society. The young lad who picks up our UPS parcels came Thursday, recalling that he had a young daughter I asked how she was doing. His face changed immediately, becoming more lively as he told me about the new baby boy who was five months. Did the fact that I remembered (CRS does not always kick in) brighten his day? I truly hope so, he walked out with a 54 pound box in his arms as if it was a feather.

Spending a few moments in converstaion with tradespeople who come here costs me nothing. If it makes a difference in their day then I am glad.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Then there was the little boy who said his name was No No Don't touch.