Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Did they really think all these folks were going to start promenading down the Champs Elysee wearing the latest in Parisian fashion.
?
And bearing their breasts a la Marianne? One can but hope!

John
Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Resident octogenarian

We have a muslim woman here (at least they believe she is) who got a drivers license that allows her to drive wearing a burka. Now you may not be able to hide an AK47 under a veil but you can hide anyone under a burka, there is no way of telling if it is a man or woman, explosive vest or whatever. She is wearing the damn thing in the photo on her license.

And using freedom of religion she lied because in her own country she would never be allowed to drive and in certain ones not even allowed out of the house without a male relative accompanying her. She is basically an accident looking for a place to happen.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Underneath what, a veil or a scarf? What about a loose fitting non-sectarian dress or coat? Now, there you could hide something but that won't be illegal.

Actually, as the underwear bomber showed, it's possible to hide major amounts of explosives pretty much anywhere on your person, regardless of clothing. Heck, there was a recent attempt on a Saudi prince where the bomber put the explosives up his ass. Even if he'd been buck naked the explosives would have been invisible.

Face it, Grumpy. This is just pure religious bigotry like the ban on minarets in Switzerland.

John
Um no and don't presume anything about me. I do not about you.

If one chooses not to abide by another countries laws then don't. But when they asked to leave they better be ready to.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We have a muslim woman here (at least they believe she is) who got a drivers license that allows her to drive wearing a burka. Now you may not be able to hide an AK47 under a veil but you can hide anyone under a burka, there is no way of telling if it is a man or woman, explosive vest or whatever. She is wearing the damn thing in the photo on her license.

And using freedom of religion she lied because in her own country she would never be allowed to drive and in certain ones not even allowed out of the house without a male relative accompanying her. She is basically an accident looking for a place to happen.
Rob, I mentioned in another post that the law isn't aimed at a burka or other form of loose fitting attire, religious, cultural or otherwise. As a result, it wouldn't have any meaningful effect on public safety.

I don't think it's fair to say she lied regarding religious freedom. She would be able to wear a burka in her native country and should be allowed here. However, the fact that she wouldn't be allowed to drive in her native country (perhaps) doesn't mean she shouldn't be allowed to drive here - as long as she could see where the hell she was going.

Giving her a driver's license under those circumstances is nuts, much like allowing someone visually impaired to drive. Wear what you want but if your idea of cultural identity or haute couture is to wear a gunny sack over your head don't freakin' drive.

John
Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

But, but, but its her right.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Um no and don't presume anything about me. I do not about you.
I didn't presume anything about you, Grumpy.

Quote:
If one chooses not to abide by another countries laws then don't. But when they asked to leave they better be ready to.
Do you believe that laws should be just and should not single out individuals or groups for special treatment?

John
Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I beleive ones religious freedoms should not impede upon my families safety.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetJack View Post
If I see another muslim glorified on cnn because the were wrongly stereotyped
at an airport, I'm gonna throw up.
Come on Jack. No network I have watched seems to be sympathetic toward muslinsbecause they are searched before boarding planes.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I completely agree. As the saying goes, your rights stop where mine begin.

Still, I can see absolutely no public safety issue in allowing Muslim women to wear a veil and head scarf. It will have no effect on anyone's ability to conceal anything.

John
Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I agree.