Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
I'm just going to say this. It saddens me to see a once great nation of strong, resourceful people, slowly but surely being reduced to a nation of whiny bitches and victims.
That strong resourceful people were systematically addicted to a lethal consumer product. Most of us succeeded in throwing that addiction off, only to see the tobacco industry target our children who increasingly fall victim to RJR and their co-conspirators.

I'm all for the PG13 rating here. It advises parents that, assuming they wish their children to see the film, they might want to discuss with them the several areas of concern delineated in the advisory.

It saddens me to think that you seem to think responsible and proactive parenting is whiny, bitchy victimhood.

Quote:
Yes I do smoke. I particularly enjoy a fine maduro wrapper cigar. Not sure why you ask though.
You're not? Really?

John
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM

im over worrying about our freedom to choose disappearing the worthless government is turning our own kids aganist us. you can blame the goddamn lawers and the corperate court system for all this " for our own good" bullshit.

i know whats best for me and thats it. the liberal do what we say crowd can piss up a rope.

if americans dont stand up and stop this lunacy we are all going to end up wearing fucking spacesuits and ratting eachother out for eating a big mac.

by the way as soon as cigs are gone its going to be food and entertainment that are taxed to pay for the liberals big giveaways. the government isint going to just forget about the hundreds of millions of unfair tax dollars.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
im over worrying about our freedom to choose disappearing the worthless government is turning our own kids aganist us. you can blame the goddamn lawers and the corperate court system for all this " for our own good" bullshit.

i know whats best for me and thats it. the liberal do what we say crowd can piss up a rope.

if americans dont stand up and stop this lunacy we are all going to end up wearing fucking spacesuits and ratting eachother out for eating a big mac.

by the way as soon as cigs are gone its going to be food and entertainment that are taxed to pay for the liberals big giveaways. the government isint going to just forget about the hundreds of millions of unfair tax dollars.
I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard...

John
Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
im over worrying about our freedom to choose disappearing the worthless government is turning our own kids aganist us. .
No trouble with this here. Guess this is a problem more in the south and Midwest.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 PM

The movie was outstanding by the way! I'm not sure if my opinion would be the same without the 3D factor but with it, it was very entertaining.

The last time I saw a movie in 3D, it was some horror deal that I long forgot the title of. I wasn't expecting much with Avatar but it was pretty amazing.

RC
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
The movie was outstanding by the way! I'm not sure if my opinion would be the same without the 3D factor but with it, it was very entertaining.

The last time I saw a movie in 3D, it was some horror deal that I long forgot the title of. I wasn't expecting much with Avatar but it was pretty amazing.

RC
House of Wax?

John
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

You're not? Really?

John
John, I believe I made it clear in my original post that smoking is unhealthy. My point was whether or not it is really necessary to note it in a movie rating description.

Like I said, I anticipated your reaction to this and was pretty much spot on. No offence intended but, I was more curious to hear what other had to say. You, are way too predictable

RC
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
House of Wax?

John

Not that old (movie that is )i think it was JAWS 3D now that I think of it. It was gawd awful

RC
Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

It would be difficult to argue against the proposition that too many in our society have manipulated victimhood. If you read the post about the case I am preparing, it is a prime example of individuals who have harmed the credibility of the civil rights laws by becoming professional victims.

On the other hand, I see the spread of information about harmful effect of many products to be more about responsibility than victimhood. For example, mandatory nutrition labels - they allow us to make informed choices about what we consume. We bear the responsibility for those choices.

The more dangerous dissemination of information is considerably less direct. Smoking was glamorized in movies for year and years. How many guys wanted to be like Bogart? The movies let us know that it is manly to down a stiff drink. More recently, we have been made aware of product placement in entertainment. I don't watch NASCAR, but I have seen enough to know that the cars and jumpsuits are mobile billboards. How omnipresent is the Nike swoosh in other sporting events? Corporations spend millions and millions to find ways to convince people to purchase their products (or to subtly impart a message that creates a desire for the product).

Such messages are imparted with no concern for whether the product is beneficial for the purchaser, but only whether the cost of imparting the message enhances profits. The more we are able to identify and expose such messages for what they are, the more freely we will make our choices.

I don't see it as whining if we take more responsibility for our own choices. Do you.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-16-2010, 06:48 AM

Every time I see somethin' about "Avatar", I'm reminded about that song from about 10 yrs ago, "Blue", by some Italian europoptrash group, Eiffel 65. "I'm Blue, abba-dee-abba-dye..." And you MAY cuss me for putting the Earwig therewith into yr head for the rest of the mornin'...Mbwahahahaha...