Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Congrats to you both for getting your loved ones home in one piece.
My son and I are going to do a 3-day road trip from Maryland to Omaha next week. He'll be flying here and I'm going to give him one of my old cars and I'll drive one-way to Omaha and fly back. He was forced to crush his car (an old BMW 325i he brought from Germany to Israel) because he couldn't legally sell it (due to Israel's tax laws) to anybody other than embassy or DoD staff.

We haven't fully settled on a route though to Omaha yet. Going through the northern Indiana Chicago suburbs is the closest route, but I hate that drive through Ohio, northern Indiana and the Chicago 'burbs. We may go through Columbus and Indianapolis instead. With a few exceptions (Chicago, Minneapolis and KC), there's a whole lot of nothing between the Appalachians and the Rockies.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
My son and I are going to do a 3-day road trip from Maryland to Omaha next week. He'll be flying here and I'm going to give him one of my old cars and I'll drive one-way to Omaha and fly back. He was forced to crush his car (an old BMW 325i he brought from Germany to Israel) because he couldn't legally sell it (due to Israel's tax laws) to anybody other than embassy or DoD staff.

We haven't fully settled on a route though to Omaha yet. Going through the northern Indiana Chicago suburbs is the closest route, but I hate that drive through Ohio, northern Indiana and the Chicago 'burbs. We may go through Columbus and Indianapolis instead. With a few exceptions (Chicago, Minneapolis and KC), there's a whole lot of nothing between the Appalachians and the Rockies.
Make it a week or so and show the kid around Nawlins.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Ready

Quote:

That 'nothing' consists of vast industries and some 100 million people. They're mostly more spread out than on the coast, that's all. Between built-on parts, you can discern vast tracts comprising a hugely productive agricultural area of subcontinental size.

For something a whole lot more like 'nothing,' check out the subcontinental region between the Rockies and the Sierras.

BTW, I'd definitely recommend the Columbus/Indianapolis route. The traffic on the more northern route will be many times heavier.

Last edited by donquixote99; 10-08-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Make it a week or so and show the kid around Nawlins.
I would, but it's too far south. I'm busy studying brewpubs and live music venues between here and Omaha.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
That 'nothing' consists of vast industries and some 100 million people. They're mostly more spread out than on the coast, that's all. Between built-on parts, you can discern vast tracts comprising a hugely productive agricultural area of subcontinental size.

For something a whole lot more like 'nothing,' check out the subcontinental region between the Rockies and the Sierras.

BTW, I'd definitely recommend the Columbus/Indianapolis route. The traffic on the more northern route will be many times heavier.
I'm just kidding around. I'm very fond of the upper Midwest and go to Wisconsin and Minnesota frequently (my daughter married a cheesehead and lives in Minneapolis). I will admit, however, that Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and southern Illinois don't exactly get me too excited though.

It still remains to be seen how my son adapts to Omaha. For a 26 year old, he's seen lots of the world and Omaha may prove to be a bit sedate. Hopefully not.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:

70 to 74 to 80?

Personally, as whole lotsa nuthins go, northwestern Nebraska is pretty cool.

Last edited by Boreas; 10-08-2015 at 08:07 PM.