Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Area Man

The "Social Contract".

Some question was raised concerning the "Social Contract" that d-ray often refers to. I thought I would post this link to further clarify the meaning of "social contract". I decided to put it in this forum since it seems to encompass all aspects of human social interaction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract

Thoughts, opinions?

Dave
Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Some question was raised concerning the "Social Contract" that d-ray often refers to. I thought I would post this link to further clarify the meaning of "social contract". I decided to put it in this forum since it seems to encompass all aspects of human social interaction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract

Thoughts, opinions?

Dave
my though is that corporatism looks at this with disdain
Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The criticism I hear from Whell or read in this link has to do with the semantic use of the word "contract." Somehow, the criticism seems to use the legal meaning of "contract" as a trump card to invalidate the notion of a "social contract."

Isn't that kinda like saying that you need to give a rabies shot to a hot dog?

As a German speaker, I'm quite familiar with compound words and am able to recognize that "social contract" is a compound word used to explain a concept that differs materially from "contract" used in a purely legal context.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The criticism I hear from Whell or read in this link has to do with the semantic use of the word "contract." Somehow, the criticism seems to use the legal meaning of "contract" as a trump card to invalidate the notion of a "social contract."

As a German speaker, I'm quite familiar with compound words and am able to recognize that "social contract" is a compound word used to explain a concept that differs materially from "contract" used in a purely legal context.
Much better explanation than any damn lawyer would give.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Much better explanation than any damn lawyer would give.

Regards,

D-Ray
I'm on a slippery slope, it appears.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

It's because "Social Contract" sounds and is, in some measure, collectivist. It rubs their "every man for himself" mentality the wrong way. The "Law of the Jungle" appeals to their base primal instincts and is therefore more compatible with the modern conservative mentality. Baboons don't pool their resources to care for other Baboons that can't keep up with the troupe, they bite and stomp them to death to prevent them from holding the others back. See what I'm sayin'?

Dave
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
It's because "Social Contract" sounds and is, in some measure, collectivist. It rubs their "every man for himself" mentality the wrong way. The "Law of the Jungle" appeals to their base primal instincts and is therefore more compatible with the modern conservative mentality. Baboons don't pool their resources to care for other Baboons that can't keep up with the troupe, they bite and stomp them to death to prevent them from holding the others back. See what I'm sayin'?

Dave
You're cold brother. Interestingly, many of the conservatives who reject evolution also embrace economic Darwinism - the survival of the fittest. Some of us would see that as survival of the creatures who place profits above all other values. Concern for the environment, concern for the plight of working people, concern for the community are all signs of weakness, unless such concern can be leveraged to enhance profits.

I wonder what a society would look like if it was based on the golden rule stated in the Bible rather than the one that states "them that's got the gold makes the rules."

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM

I never signed any contract.

But apparently upon being born I am already able to give my consent to be governed by people who do not know me and do not represent me.

The issue isnt even that I am against this, the issue is that I was never asked.

Last edited by Brother_Karl; 07-23-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
I never signed any contract.

But apparently upon being born I am already able to give my consent to be governed by people who do not know me and do not represent me.

The issue isnt even that I am against this, the issue is that I was never asked.
So, society is not to move forward unless each and every individual gives his or her full consent? How is that even possible? I hear it all of the time, Karl. "Why should I have to comply with that regulation or pay that tax, I never consented to it."

The answer is simple; You will never achieve anything if you have to wait on a unanimous decision from the masses. Heck, half the time it's nearly impossible to do so with a simple majority.

Some just have to deal with it, when they don't get their way. We all face that from time to time. That's just how it is.

Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Concern for the environment, concern for the plight of working people, concern for the community are all signs of weakness, unless such concern can be leveraged to enhance taxes.

D-Ray
I fixed it to represent our current federal government.
YAWN...this thread sucks.

Last edited by djv8ga; 07-23-2011 at 05:52 PM.