Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:39 AM

Have you guys missed the fact that Trump was calling for the death penalty as punishment for a crime that has never been a capital offense?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Have you guys missed the fact that Trump was calling for the death penalty as punishment for a crime that has never been a capital offense?
No, I'm aware of that. Doesn't surprise me at all, a Fascist is as a Fascist does. In a world run by Trump, I wonder how long it would be before petty shoplifting carried a death sentence?
Old 02-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Ready

Quote:
Maybe not in New York, but in other states, mainly southern I think, rape was a capital crime. The Supreme Court, however, put an end to that:

Quote:
In 1977, in Coker v. Georgia the Supreme Court of the United States held that the death penalty for the crime of rape of an adult woman was cruel and unusual punishment, and thus banned it as a violation of the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution, and in 2008 in Kennedy v. Louisiana it ruled the same in regard to rape of a child.
wikipedia

Not disputing that in this Trump was showing the brutal instincts of an authoritarian and fascist.

Last edited by donquixote99; 02-22-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Maybe not in New York, but in other states, mainly southern I think, rape was a capital crime. The Supreme Court, however, put an end to that:

wikipedia

Not disputing that in this Trump was showing the brutal instincts of an authoritarian and fascist.
Thanks. I didn't know that. It seems to have been largely a Southern phenomenon and, though I don't know, I'd be willing to bet that the death penalty was never applied to a white man there.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Ready

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't know that. It seems to have been largely a Southern phenomenon and, though I don't know, I'd be willing to bet that the death penalty was never applied to a white man there.
"Never" is a very strong word, but I'd buy 'typically not' in a second.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
From the accounts I've read of the attack it is my opinion that capital punishment would be warranted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park_jogger_case

Quote:
While jogging in the park, she was knocked down, dragged or chased nearly 300 feet (91 m), and violently assaulted.[8] She was raped, sodomized, and beaten almost to death.[30] Investigators' best evidence suggested she was attacked between 9:10 and 9:15 pm, on the transverse through the park from East 104th Street toward West 102nd Street, between the park's East Drive and West Drive.[8][29]

She was found naked, gagged, and tied up, covered in mud and blood, about four hours later, at 1:30 am. Meili was discovered in a shallow ravine in a wooded area of the park about 300 feet (91 m) north of the 103rd Street Transverse.[8][29][30][31][32] The first policeman who saw her said: "She was beaten as badly as anybody I've ever seen beaten. She looked like she was tortured."[4]

She was comatose for 12 days.[33] She suffered from severe hypothermia, severe brain damage, Class 4 (the most severe) hemorrhagic shock, and loss of 75–80 per cent of her blood from five deep stab wounds and a gash on one of her thighs, and internal bleeding.[3][25][32][33][34] Her skull had been fractured so badly that her left eye was removed from the eye socket, which in turn was fractured in 21 places, and she suffered as well from facial fractures.[3][25][35] Doctors attributed her survival to the cold weather as well as the cold mud in which she lay in the hours before she was discovered, which reduced her internal swelling.[3]

The initial medical prognosis was that Meili would die.[3] She was given last rites.[25] The police initially listed the attack as a probable homicide.[36] At best, doctors thought that she would remain in a permanent coma due to her injuries. She came out of her coma 12 days after her attack, and spent seven weeks in Metropolitan Hospital in East Harlem. When she emerged from her coma, she was initially unable to talk, read, or walk.[25][30] A month after the attack, she had difficulty recognizing her mother, and was unable to recall what year it was.[37]

She was transferred in early June to Gaylord Hospital, a long-term acute care center in Wallingford, Connecticut, suffering from amnesia, double-vision, and dizziness, and spent six months there working on her rehabilitation.[3][22][33] She was first able to walk again in mid-July.[23] She returned to work eight months after the attack.[38] Remarkably, she largely recovered, with some lingering disabilities related to balance and loss of vision. As a result of the severe trauma, she had no memory of the attack or of any events up to an hour before the assault, nor of the six weeks following the attack.[23]
Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
From the accounts I've read of the attack it is my opinion that capital punishment would be warranted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park_jogger_case
You and Trump. Apparently, neither of you seems to give two shits about the law when it comes to indulging in vicarious outrage and a thirst for vengeance.

Oh, and they were the wrong guys.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:

Oh, and they were the wrong guys.
A totally unreliable witness who had nothing to lose said he did it all by himself in spite of overwhelming physical evidence that indicates she had multiple attackers. Sorry, I am not convinced.

And even if they didn't do this particular crime, they were part of the pack of thugs that was running around the park that night attacking and beating people senseless with metal pipes. So they served some time in prison? They deserved it just for that as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 02-22-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
A totally unreliable witness who had nothing to lose said he did it all by himself in spite of overwhelming physical evidence that indicates she had multiple attackers. Sorry, I am not convinced.
Well, why didn't you say so? If you're not convinced, maybe New York should lock those fuckers right back up! Maybe they should execute them, even though New York no longer has the death penalty.

They found his fucking DNA in the semen sample obtained from the victim and his was the only DNA recovered. Is that unreliable?

Last edited by Boreas; 02-22-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
They found his fucking DNA in the semen sample obtained from the victim and his was the only DNA recovered. Is that unreliable?
Does that prove the five of them didn't help hold her down and beat the shit out of her while he raped her?