Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Gentlemen, they are Republicans so what the hell did you expect, something halfway intelligent?
Who was it that said "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"? You can do better Mister.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Look for the retirement age for SS to go up yet again. I wouldn't have any problem at all if they want to privatise it. It's a pittance anyway, and I don't count on it one bit. Give me mine right now and let me bet it all on red twice, then it might be worth something. My life has shown me that the less I depend on the government, the better my deal gets. Too many people have learned how to "work" good intentioned gov. programs. Combine that with the state of the work ethic in this country, and you get a collapse. I think we focus too much on seperate "little" problems, like health care, retirement, etc.., when the real problems begin at home. Americans need to start raising their own children again, and stop leaving it to the day care centers.

It makes no sense to put something on the stock market that was originally designed to be a "safe haven" from the stock market.

The problem isn't that SS was "doomed to fail from the start", the problem is that politicians over the decades, have used the money for things for which it was never intended.

There's the "American workers are all lazy and overcompensated! Well, everyone except me, of course." mantra again. Geez.

But, I would agree wholeheartedly that people need to start raising their own kids. Too many parents just don't seem to even care. And that's sad. Although, I would say that most of my friends seem to have done a fantastic job raising their youngins.

BTW, TD. Nice Avatar!

Dave
Old 02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Loyal Opposition

TD, you and I are on the same page about one thing. Americans definitely need to take more personal responsibility. My wife and I were fortunate enough to have work schedules that allowed us to tag team taking care of the kids. They also benefited from being part of a community in which several adults spent time with the kids, and we were able to be part of that community by coaching, scouts, etc. In addition to personal responsibility, Hillary was right when she quoted the saying that it takes a village to raise a child. I think that you will agree that about the government's primary role in such things is to use it's Bully Pulpit to support and encourage that type of community.

Personal responsibility, however is no match for corporate power. Individually, we don't have the resources to deal with the enormous economic power wielded by the insurance companies, the health care conglomerates, and the drug companies. Those institutions do not have our interests at heart. We need something bigger than ourselves to shift the balance against their economic power.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 02-06-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
TD, you and I are on the same page about one thing. Americans definitely need to take more personal responsibility. My wife and I were fortunate enough to have work schedules that allowed us to tag team taking care of the kids. They also benefited from being part of a community in which several adults spent time with the kids, and we were able to be part of that community by coaching, scouts, etc. In addition to personal responsibility, Hillary was right when she quoted the saying that it takes a village to raise a child. I think that you will agree that about the government's primary role in such things is to use it's Bully Pulpit to support and encourage that type of community.

Personal responsibility, however is no match for corporate power. Individually, we don't have the resources to deal with the enormous economic power wielded by the insurance companies, the health care conglomerates, and the drug companies. Those institutions do not have our interests at heart. We need something bigger than ourselves to shift the balance against their economic power.

Regards,

D-Ray
+1

Dave
Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
There's the "American workers are all lazy and overcompensated! Well, everyone except me, of course." mantra again. Geez.
Can you quote where I said this?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Area Man

Gladly;

Quote:
Combine that with the state of the work ethic in this country, and you get a collapse.(
Regards,
Dave
Old 02-06-2010, 05:25 PM

You got "that" out of "that"? I guess I don't even need to type, you can just tell everyone what I mean. The people I'm talking about, don't have jobs Kreskin.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Area Man

I had no idea who "Kreskin" is until I googled him up and watched some video clips.

Pretty impressive.

Thanks for the compliment,
Dave

P.s. Oh and yeah, I got that out of that. Not much of a stretch.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Look for the retirement age for SS to go up yet again. I wouldn't have any problem at all if they want to privatise it. It's a pittance anyway, and I don't count on it one bit. Give me mine right now and let me bet it all on red twice, then it might be worth something. My life has shown me that the less I depend on the government, the better my deal gets. Too many people have learned how to "work" good intentioned gov. programs. Combine that with the state of the work ethic in this country, and you get a collapse. I think we focus too much on seperate "little" problems, like health care, retirement, etc.., when the real problems begin at home. Americans need to start raising their own children again, and stop leaving it to the day care centers.
You may not depend on SS but for a lot of people it's literally a matter of life and death. If Bush had succeeded in privatizing Social Security early in his first term as he wanted, just think how many elderly retired people would have been absolutely devastated in the stock market meltdown.

Republicans, by reintroducing this idea at this time, are showing us that they don't give a flying fuck about middle and lower class Americans. They've got their trust funds and their bonds (taxed at 15%), their friends on Wall Street would like to get their hands on all those dollars in the SS Trust Fund and the rest of us can go to hell.

John
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by merrylander
Gentlemen, they are Republicans so what the hell did you expect, something halfway intelligent?

Quote:
Who was it that said "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"? You can do better Mister.
There's a saying, "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."

In this case I think only malice will suffice.

John