Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM

Thirty Years On, How Well Do Global Warming Predictions Stand Up?

WSJ article is worth a read.

On the 30th anniversary of Mr. Hansen’s galvanizing testimony, it’s time to acknowledge that the rapid warming he predicted isn’t happening. Climate researchers and policy makers should adopt the more modest forecasts that are consistent with observed temperatures.

That would be a lukewarm policy, consistent with a lukewarming planet.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Admin

It's an op-ed that is behind a paywall, Mike.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM

The authors both work for Cato, hardly an institution aligned with scientific consensus.

You can be certain Whell’s favorite wingnut media outlets will be shouting this out, though.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
The authors both work for Cato, hardly an institution aligned with scientific consensus.

You can be certain Whell’s favorite wingnut media outlets will be shouting this out, though.
Why am I not surprised? The Cato Institute formerly known as the Charles Koch Foundation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute
Old 11-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Why am I not surprised? The Cato Institute formerly known as the Charles Koch Foundation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute
Wasn't Cato the Chinese guy that would leap out of dark corners and attack Inspector Clouseau in his apartment?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

Calling a libertarian think tank like Cato a wingnut media outlet is asinine. Perhaps you should try actually reading some of its pages rather than just passing judgment.

Cato is certainly a lot more scientific and reliable than CNN, ABC, CBS and other left wing opinion rags.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason10 View Post
Calling a libertarian think tank like Cato a wingnut media outlet is asinine. Perhaps you should try actually reading some of its pages rather than just passing judgment.

Cato is certainly a lot more scientific and reliable than CNN, ABC, CBS and other left wing opinion rags.
Libertarianism is a joke along with the Koch brothers pet astroturfing operation, the aforemention Cato Institute. Maybe you should've studied Tolkien instead of that old Russian lunatic, Ayn Rand?
Old 06-22-2018, 02:26 PM

Cato does fund some valid research in several areas, but their climate papers have always been the subject of scorn by real climate scientists.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Rational Anarchist

Just because you're part of a consensus doesn't necessarily mean your right, but probably does mean that you are at least partially right if not more so.

Can't climate scientists be real if they aren't part of the consensus?

Last edited by nailer; 06-22-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cato does fund some valid research in several areas, but their climate papers have always been the subject of scorn by real climate scientists.
There are no climate scientists. There are a bunch of hacks who claim to be scientists, but the climate is impossible to define, track, predict or influence.

It is impossible to even PREDICT the weather beyond ten days out, much less predict or even influence the CLIMATE for forty years in the future, which this Greta Thurnbergs all think they are doing.

Has anybody even taken a look at a GLOBE? Most of the surface of the Earth is WATER. Today's scientific knowledge of climate can't even scratch the surface of this wild and unpredictable system.