Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I do not think we need to repeal the second amendment. We just need to interpret it correctly.
I've read it, it lacks purpose and context in the present and is imo a civil liability as a right, rather than a privilege with responsibilities.
What is required is a sensible national standard of regulation, with local option within that framework.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:40 PM

Campaign for repeal of the second amendment may be counterproductive as well as unlikely.
Why liberal calls for a Second Amendment repeal actually hinder gun reform https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...rol-ncna860561
Old 03-27-2018, 06:00 PM

Another commentary;
There's not a 'snowflake's chance in hell' of repealing the Second Amendment

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/27/polit...ent/index.html
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM

"The right to keep and bear arms",
But the right to then do what with them?
The second amendment is clear only as relates to a "well regulated militia". Nothing else, including self/ household defense, Antonin Scalia notwithstanding.
Is there a lawful right to self defense, outside of Scalia's stretch of the second?
Seems reasonable to me there should /would be somewhere somehow, but I'm not a lawyer.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Legal silencers is nothing to laugh about.....
http://controversialtimes.com/news/b...-need-to-know/

""A bill has been introduced in the new Congress that has gun owners, the NRA and many silencer manufacturers excited. The Hearing Protection Act has been reintroduced to the new congress.""

Protect hearing????? I use ear muffs.

Barney
Exactly how many homicides result from silencers? BTW, they ain't exactly silent.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
"The right to keep and bear arms",
But the right to then do what with them?
The second amendment is clear only as relates to a "well regulated militia". Nothing else, including self/ household defense, Antonin Scalia notwithstanding.
Is there a lawful right to self defense, outside of Scalia's stretch of the second?
Seems reasonable to me there should /would be somewhere somehow, but I'm not a lawyer.
And what was a "militia" at the time of writing? It certainly was not the National Guard or our standing armies. The 2nd is there to protect the freedom of all against a government that would seek to take that freedom away.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
I've read it, it lacks purpose and context in the present and is imo a civil liability as a right, rather than a privilege with responsibilities.
What is required is a sensible national standard of regulation, with local option within that framework.
What do you propose as a national standard? Have you tried to buy a firearm lately? Contrary to the BS, it's already regulated. Try purchasing one without, say, a verifiable address, a credit card, and a state issued ID. Note that there are illegal channels to purchase does not bolster your argument.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
What do you propose as a national standard? Have you tried to buy a firearm lately? Contrary to the BS, it's already regulated. Try purchasing one without, say, a verifiable address, a credit card, and a state issued ID. Note that there are illegal channels to purchase does not bolster your argument.
Private sale are still legal. They do not have the same standards as one from a dealer. Gun show sales by other then dealers also.

Barney
Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
And what was a "militia" at the time of writing? It certainly was not the National Guard or our standing armies. The 2nd is there to protect the freedom of all against a government that would seek to take that freedom away.
That's not written into the amendment as to it's specific purpose regardless of assumed intent. Nobody is going to succeed in claiming a constitutionally granted protected right to armed insurrection against Federal authority

Last edited by Pio1980; 03-28-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I suppose ATF would be the Governing authority, with input from whomever appropriate representatives of citizenry as to use and practical applications.
High capacity rapid fire semi-automatic weaponry would have similar restriction as full- automatic weapons, and private accumulation of firearms and stockpiling ammunition generally prohibited.