Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator

No its not 1776. More criminals then ever have them and us without them to protect ourselves is a thought that scares the hell out of me.

By the way if I may just have to Make Denny my new avatar.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No its not 1776. More criminals then ever have them and us without them to protect ourselves is a thought that scares the hell out of me.

By the way if I may just have to Make Denny my new avatar.
Technology has evolved since 1776, but I don't think human nature has evolved since the stone age.

Chas
Old 05-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
No its not 1776. More criminals then ever have them
How do ya' figure?

Quote:
us without them to protect ourselves is a thought that scares the hell out of me.
Why is that?

How many times have you used a fire arm to save yourself/loved ones from violence? I honestly have never met anyone who has. The best story I have ever gotten was a friend of a friend who uses a gun to ask trespassers to leave his property. I have done the same without a gun.

I listed my experiences with guns and had I had my own gun at the time of any of the incidents I have described it would only have taken a bad situation and made it worse, likely much much worse.

No worries, the NRA is to powerful for things to change. The slaughter will march forward and people can continue to feel warm and fuzzy that they are safer with guns. Unfortunately, that is seldom the case.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Tell ya what. If or when you or your family are under duress and I am there to help with a firearm i'll bet you thank me or anyone else that helps.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
The slaughter will march forward and people can continue to feel warm and fuzzy that they are safer with guns. Unfortunately, that is seldom the case.
As stated earlier, a gun is simply a tool. Possession of a hammer does not make you a carpenter; Training and experience do. Same applies to safely handling/owning firearms.
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozmoid View Post
As stated earlier, a gun is simply a tool.
A tool for what?

Old 05-29-2009, 03:15 PM

I personally use them for sport and for hunting food.

LEA/military tend to use them for determent or outright killing of humans (war).

Criminals use them to gain power (coercion) or for the (non-government-approved) outright killing of humans (murder).

You do realize this list applies as accurately to the hammer as it does to the gun, right? "It's not the tool, it's the hand that guides it."
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".
Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM

I use mine for sport & "letting off steam"... Nothing much more fun than yr trusty .22, a few boxes of shells, & a few coke/beer cans/milk jugs, & a lazy afternoon to "have at 'em". Fill a milk jug up w/water, set it on a fencepost, & you can have an ersatz "Miami Vice" explosion-and nobody gets hurt, just a little wet. Or you can chase one of the coke/beer cans all over a field-Are you STILL good enuff to "call" yr shots & make it jump left or right ? Can you still make it jump if somebody tosses it up in the air for you ? Yeah, I have a BUNCH of Loudenboomers, but take a wild guess as to which one gets taken & shot the most-and its not necessarily 'cause .22s are cheap, either.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozmoid View Post
I personally use them for sport and for hunting food.

LEA/military tend to use them for determent or outright killing of humans (war).

Criminals use them to gain power (coercion) or for the (non-government-approved) outright killing of humans (murder).

You do realize this list applies as accurately to the hammer as it does to the gun, right? "It's not the tool, it's the hand that guides it."

I am not buying what you are selling.
Let's see, a hammer for sport. That's a stretch.
hunting food with a hammer? I don't think so.
Military to kill and threaten, no again.
Criminal's to pillage and kill? I'd take my chances instead of giving them a gun.

There has not been one post in this thread that has offered any valid reason to continue to have weapons available to the general public.
The only semi rational reason I have heard is for self defense. That being said (and I repeat) I have never meet anyone that had occasion to use one in this manner and I am sure if they did it would likely make a bad situation worse.

It seems to me it is more about preserving a "culture" than it is about any benefits. IMHO, the good does not come in anyway close to the tragedy they constantly causes.

Can you offer me any positive for having all these guns around?

Here is a link to this weeks tragedy. This is a case of a man using a gun to stop a robbery and what is the result, tragedy for he and the robber. The good endings are so few and so far between to even bring up self defense is silly.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...27XxQD98EUN780
Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Well, another Kewl thing about having guns is that it makes SO many people "froth at the mouth" mad at those of us who DO have them...For no other reason than that we ARE able to have them...Yeah, I think that The Majickal Negroe will prolly try to outlaw private ownership of firearms. And I think he'll succeed, especially after he "packs" the Supreme Court w/like-minded fellow travelers...But he'll NEVER get ALL of them. Law-abiding types will turn theirs in, I will, but I'll cry when I do-but criminals will laugh at it all.