in keeping this site going.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I do. See posts #6 & #9.
I don't see it.

I think the wording sucks.

It's like something out of Alice and Wonderland.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:22 PM

The wording doesn't suck ...it's just appropriate for the period of time in which it was authored. Looking at the words with a modern eye skews the meaning of the intent of the words.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
The wording doesn't suck ...it's just appropriate for the period of time in which it was authored. Looking at the words with a modern eye skews the meaning of the intent of the words.
It does suck.

It's like when we had to read "Beowulf" and "Canterbury Tales" in High School.

That sucked too.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Because nobody knows what the fuck the first half has to do with the second half.
What TF is wrong with you TJ? Of course John knows. Said so himself...he knows exactly what was and was not the founder's intent. Reckon it was either time travel, mediumship skills, or he's actually 250 years old.

Maybe he can clue us all in regarding what the founder's intent was, or was not, regarding the slavery they chose ignore and to leave in place when they wrote the Constitution. Now that's something I'd really like to know. And...it's bugged historians and social scientists for at least a couple hundred years...and here we've had the answer available all along, we just never knew which pompous ass to ask.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 03-08-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
What TF is wrong with you TJ? Of course John knows. Said so himself...he knows exactly what was and was not the founder's intent. Reckon it was either time travel, mediumship skills, or he's actually 250 years old.
Am I wrong? If so, please straighten me out if you can.

The Founders' intent is clear from their writings. You don't have to have been there with them as long as your reading and comprehension skills are sufficient.

Which means, I suppose, that you would have had to have been there.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Am I wrong? If so, please straighten me out if you can.

The Founders' intent is clear from their writings. You don't have to have been there with them as long as your reading and comprehension skills are sufficient.

Which means, I suppose, that you would have had to have been there.
Know what?

I don't care what their intent was.

That was then, this is now.

Trying to live by a document that was written 240 years ago is like trying to tool down the New Jersey Turnpike in a horse drawn cart. Those people lived in a completely different world than we do. This whole Constitution thing is in need of a serious update.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Ready

The first half 'justifies' the second. Because you need a 'well-regulated' militia, the people need to be armed. Otherwise, you call 'em out, and all you get is a bunch of unregulated yokels who've never drilled and can't even shoot, and are useless in a fight.

Of course, that's mainly what the militia was most of the time anyway. Folks generally weren't big on turning out for drills. In any case, we have a standing army now, and there is no desirable role at all for the general militia. The 2nd, if it ever was useful, is long obsolete, and now actively harmful.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
It does suck.

It's like when we had to read "Beowulf" and "Canterbury Tales" in High School.

That sucked too.

No appreciation for classic literature....tsk, tsk. 😏
Old 03-08-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Maybe he can clue us all in regarding what the founder's intent was, or was not, regarding the slavery they chose ignore and to leave in place when they wrote the Constitution. Now that's something I'd really like to know. And...it's bugged historians and social scientists for at least a couple hundred years...and here we've had the answer available all along, we just never knew which pompous ass to ask.
Making shit up again. It hasn't "bugged historians and social scientists" at all. On the other hand, I'm quite ready to believe it totally flummoxed an intelectual giant like you. The reasons for slavery's continuation are both well understood and obvious.

The slave-holding states would never have ratified a constitution which abolished slavery. It's even unlikely that some northern states like New York would have ratified it. The manufacturing centers and port cities in these states liked cheap cane, cotton, tobacco and rice, for instance, as a raw material for their factories or as export commodities. An end to slavery would have meant an end to cheap prices.

Last edited by Boreas; 03-08-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM
reflexionar

Well I just replied to the thread to see if it would go anywhere and maybe raise some blood pressure. Really no point in even bringing it up for at least a couple more years as a GOP house and senate will never even draft a bill.