Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:42 AM

Trump Takes Up The Fight For The Common Man Again! I think...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c6726e12d0bb
Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 AM

Not a fan of tip to server at all. This goes to only increasing my displeasure with subsidizing a business owner. Allowing them to pay less out of their pocket and shaming the patron into making up the difference.

I feel for and do tip generously to the server. If this does happen then I may stop completely and make it known as to why at the establishment.

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 02-14-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:57 AM

Years ago, I waitressed at a private country club where tips were handled in this way. Also, tipping was a requirement of the members and included in the bill.

Some servers received tips and some never received tips and I suspected the boss put a fair amount in her pocket.

At the time, the elder Mrs. Kaiser was a member and she always requested me for her private dinner parties. She would pay the required tip on the bill then slip me a real tip when the boss was not looking. This is how I received my tips.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Having a Brother who owned two restaurants and Sisters who have worked as servers. Many an argument we have encountered over the Tip. Bottom line for me has always been pay the employee a fair wage. The argument on good service is a weak one for me, let go the worker who fails in performance. Also the one about price of meal is also weak. For the tip is also included just hidden.

Barney
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM

I guess I should have the term Worker instead of man in my thread title. My apologies for excluding hard working women.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The United States should do exactly what just about every other modern country does, pay the server out of restaurant funds and not tips (i.e., have the stated price include service and tax). Tips, to the extent they exist at all, should consist of rounding up to the nearest dollar to facilitate the making of change. Same goes for sales tax, BTW. In the rest of the world, a $10 menu item ends up costing $10, not $10 plus 15-20% for a tip and 5-10% for sales or dining tax.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Bottom line for me has always been pay the employee a fair wage.

Barney
That is it, plus a no tipping policy.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM

There are a couple of Indian restaurants which I frequent and they automatically add a "service charge" for parties of six or more, but when they present the tab on an iPad type tablet, it features buttons for no tip, 15, 20 & 25%'s. They don't bother to mention that the tip has already been included. One needs to read the fine print on the menu.

Next time should ask for individual tabs just to trip them up since this is just greed on their part.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The United States should do exactly what just about every other modern country does, pay the server out of restaurant funds and not tips (i.e., have the stated price include service and tax). Tips, to the extent they exist at all, should consist of rounding up to the nearest dollar to facilitate the making of change. Same goes for sales tax, BTW. In the rest of the world, a $10 menu item ends up costing $10, not $10 plus 15-20% for a tip and 5-10% for sales or dining tax.
States' rights!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Area Man

I remember when my Sister waited tables at a restaurant back in the '70s. Her boss instructed the staff to turn ALL of their tips in to him and then he would get to decide who deserved what. He was an asshole who would always take the lions share for himself. She told me once that if a customer left two dollars on the table she would be lucky to get one of them back.........

Surprise, surprise.

His story ended like this;

He was also a pervert. And a few years after my Sis quit and joined the Navy, the husband of one of the other waitresses walked into the restaurant and shot him in the chest.

Sooner or later, scumbags get their comeuppance.