Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 AM

affordable health care act and section 1303

I looked for a thread on this but couldn't find it. If I missed would someone please direct me to it.

Has anyone here tried to read the affordable health care act. I read about 20 pages or so.

Section 1303 is the section that requires all people who participate in the program to pay a portion to a fund, a minimum of $1, for abortions.

So any thoughts on this? Unconstitional or???

I put this in conspiracy theory because it seemed so blatantly obvious that I had to wondered if this was some sort of sabatoge from the get go for this bill.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
I looked for a thread on this but couldn't find it. If I missed would someone please direct me to it.

Has anyone here tried to read the affordable health care act. I read about 20 pages or so.

Section 1303 is the section that requires all people who participate in the program to pay a portion to a fund, a minimum of $1, for abortions.

So any thoughts on this? Unconstitional or???

I put this in conspiracy theory because it seemed so blatantly obvious that I had to wondered if this was some sort of sabatoge from the get go for this bill.

Thoughts?
That's not the way I read it. Under most circumstances, federal law prohibits federal funds from being used for abortion. Some states require medical plans to cover abortion services. The program in section 1303 provides a means for segregating funds in those states that require abortion services to be provided so that the funds are available for such services without federal funds being used. The only $1 figure is the minimum actuarial value that must be placed on such services per participant for purpose of segregating funds that may legally be used for abortions. I don't see a conspiracy, but instead, a bow to federalism by accommodating state laws.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Area Man

Only a lawyer could write a paragraph like that.

Can we have some laymans terms, counsellor?

Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Loyal Opposition

Try this.
The ACA provides financial assistance for health insurance coverage.

As a general rule, you can't use federal funds to pay for abortions. Therefore, the financial assistance provided under the ACA can't be used to purchase abortion coverage.

Some state laws require health insurance to cover abortions.

The ACA was written to not interfere with state regulation of abortion.

In order to comply with state rules that require health insurance funds to cover abortion and federal rules that prohibit funding of abortions, the administrator of the ACA must do some fancy accounting to segregate funds to cover abortions from federal funding for other health coverage.

The statute requires actuarial studies to determine the actual cost per participant for providing abortion coverage, and funding from other sources must be at least enough to cover abortions in those states that require health insurance to cover abortions. The minimum amount that must be segregated per participant is one dollar.

Put more simply, section 1303 outlines the gyrations that congress went through to make sure that no one who voted for the HCA had so say that he or she voted federal funds for abortions.

But - the section is also an example of including some federalism in the statute, because all of those gyrations are necessary to not override state regulation of abortion funding.

Regards,

D-Ray

P.S. Blue, it took more than one lawyer to write that monstrosity.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

All that was to get one congress critter's vot, don't recall who at the moment.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
ROTFLMAO that's killing me D! It took a whole Congress full

Pete
Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Try this.
The ACA provides financial assistance for health insurance coverage.

As a general rule, you can't use federal funds to pay for abortions. Therefore, the financial assistance provided under the ACA can't be used to purchase abortion coverage.

Some state laws require health insurance to cover abortions.

The ACA was written to not interfere with state regulation of abortion.

In order to comply with state rules that require health insurance funds to cover abortion and federal rules that prohibit funding of abortions, the administrator of the ACA must do some fancy accounting to segregate funds to cover abortions from federal funding for other health coverage.

The statute requires actuarial studies to determine the actual cost per participant for providing abortion coverage, and funding from other sources must be at least enough to cover abortions in those states that require health insurance to cover abortions. The minimum amount that must be segregated per participant is one dollar.

Put more simply, section 1303 outlines the gyrations that congress went through to make sure that no one who voted for the HCA had so say that he or she voted federal funds for abortions.

But - the section is also an example of including some federalism in the statute, because all of those gyrations are necessary to not override state regulation of abortion funding.

Regards,

D-Ray

So, 1303 don't look so bad, then. What's up with all of this hullabaloo about ACA forcing objectors to pay for abortions? Is it another section, or just more rightwing nonsense?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

My only problem with it is that it comes from a law that apparently has over 1303 sections.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
My only problem with it is that it comes from a law that apparently has over 1303 sections.
Does appear a bit excessive, doesn't it?

However,

Sometimes I wonder if a document that was only a few pages long, devoid of details and specificity would be even worse? I guess it's a case of "too much vs. too little"?

Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
ROTFLMAO that's killing me D! It took a whole Congress full

Pete
Those bastards didn't write it, they hired a bunch of lawyers on our dime to write it.

Shit, they didn't even read it!!!

Chas