Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 AM

All US cellphones to get "government" chip?

First I heard about it the other day.

Apparently it's government-mandated chip in cellphones, some already have it, by which the goverment can overide other communication channels to send you a text message. Appears there are a few different levels of messages that you can block or opt out of, except the "Presidential Alert" messages from the top.

Wonder what else the special chip might do? Probably nothing they can't already do, just makes it easier to do it, what ever "it" is.

Last edited by whoaru99; 05-21-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

Not owning a cellphone I guess they won't be sending me any messages.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 AM

Ahhhh, yes. The ultimate opt out...for now, until the mandate comes down that everyone must have a cellphone so they can receive the Presidential Alerts.

I wonder if it will come in the form of a DTV converter box-like program?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

For better or worse, I think this comes as a result of very few people listening to radio anymore and nearly everyone having a cell phone. I understand the arguments on both sides as to whether this is a good idea. FWIW, in our new digital age I've nearly discarded the notion of privacy anymore.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Area Man

It's a mind control device. Al Gore whispering in your ear as you talk on the phone. Next thing you know, you'll be wearing Birkenstocks, eating organically grown produce and driving a Prius, rainbow sticker on the bumper and all.

The end is nigh.

Dave
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Resident octogenarian

They can mandate all they want, I refuse to turn the damn thing on and radiate my brain.

Last edited by merrylander; 05-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
For better or worse, I think this comes as a result of very few people listening to radio anymore and nearly everyone having a cell phone. I understand the arguments on both sides as to whether this is a good idea. FWIW, in our new digital age I've nearly discarded the notion of privacy anymore.
Heard some guy talking on the radio, not sure who it was, that this allegedly stems from 9/11 when communication by cell phone was essentially log-jammed in some areas. This chip apparently, allows some form of override/shutdown, so that these text messages can get through...or something like that.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
... Next thing you know, you'll be wearing Birkenstocks, eating organically grown produce and driving a Prius...
Oh crap...I just stumbled upon what seems to be a good deal on a Mercedes AMG CL55, a gas-guzzling 500hp supercar.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Heard some guy talking on the radio, not sure who it was, that this allegedly stems from 9/11 when communication by cell phone was essentially log-jammed in some areas. This chip apparently, allows some form of override/shutdown, so that these text messages can get through...or something like that.
Yep. I heard the same.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Oh crap...I just stumbled upon what seems to be a good deal on a Mercedes AMG CL55, a gas-guzzling 500hp supercar.
Yes, but you want the Prius....the Prius is good....(Stay focused on the swinging watch)....Prius, Prius, Prius..................

Dave