Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Admin

Evangelical Reckoning?

"As white evangelicals have been some of President Trump’s staunchest defenders, a handful of their leaders find themselves contending with a problem all too familiar to the commander in chief: a sex scandal.

As the allegations by Stormy Daniels, an adult-film actress who says she had an affair with President Trump, captures the nation’s attention, and as the #MeToo movement highlights sexual abuse, harassment and impropriety in the workplace, at least four leaders in the evangelical movement have been accused of violating the tenets of their faith, from adultery to sexual abuse. Now some observers wonder whether evangelicals are experiencing a repeat of the scandals that led to the downfall of several well-known televangelists in the 1980s.

“There’s a reckoning taking place across evangelicalism right now,” said Russell Moore, who leads the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission and compared recent events to those scandals of the 1980s. Moore said the #MeToo movement has ushered a “welcome development in American culture toward believing women who have been harmed. I also think there’s a growing — but not fast enough — realization in church life of the way that power can easily be abused in predatory ways, especially spiritual power.”

Most recently, Frank Page, president and chief executive of the SBC’s executive committee, announced his resignation because of an “inappropriate relationship.” Page did not divulge the details of his relationship on Tuesday, but in a statement he called it a “personal failing” that has “embarrassed my family, my Lord, myself, and the Kingdom.”
In his role, Page oversaw the nearly $200 million budget of the SBC’s cooperative program, which Southern Baptist churches contribute to and which funds the convention’s ministries. Page was among a group of evangelical leaders who last September met with and praised Trump in the Oval Office.

In another case, Bill Hybels, who co-founded Willow Creek, one of the nation’s largest churches, came under the spotlight last week after the Chicago Tribune published a series of allegations that he made suggestive comments, extended hugs, an unwanted kiss, invitations to a staff member to hotel rooms and had a consensual affair with a married woman. The woman who said she had an affair later retracted her allegations. Hybels denied all of the allegations in an interview with the Tribune."
WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1a1e3eb45487
Old 03-30-2018, 07:49 PM

Hypocrisy, not just for Republicans any more.........

Barney
Old 04-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Evangelicals are planning a high-profile meeting with Trump

And of course, the proposed venue is Trump hotel in DC to be held sometime in June.
From one of the organizers.
Quote:
“As people of faith, we should cheer him on when he does right,” he said. “But when he goes outside the boundaries, when he needs a voice of accountability, we also need to be a voice of accountability. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.”
Here is hoping that a 'welcome pastors' image is projected on the entrance to Trump Hotel from Stormy. That should put the spotlight on this meeting of demagogues and hypocrites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f7ddc7eb910d