Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Are you a racist?

Here's a handy-dandy flowchart to help you decide:
Old 09-19-2009, 04:29 PM

I already knew I was, but that is a nice flow chart anyway.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Well, you'll call me a left wing nut for this, but I have a simpler flow chart-

Are you a white person born in the United States? Yes? You're a racist. I know how corny that sounds, but I do think it's true. I've read about some interesting experiments that have lead me to the conclusion that it's all but impossible to grow up in the U. S. and not have some racism in your make up.

I'll admit it. Can't fix what you don't acknowledge. I remember when I was, oh, 23 or so. My car was broken into. They took my stereo and my cassettes. I remember saying to my girlfriend (now wife) "I get them taking my stereo, but why did they take my tapes?" Almost immediately I realized what I meant by that. "Why would a black kid want my alternative music?"

I assumed:

1. It had to be a black kid

2. No black kid would ever listen to alternative music.

Here's the thing- it probably was a black kid and he probably didn't listen to alternative music. Doesn't change anything. I don't *know* it was a black kid and I don't *know* what kind of music he listened to. I also don't know what his upbringing was like or where he lived or what he did with the money he got from steeling my stereo. I assume I know all those things. But I don't.

And an assumption is a judgment. A judgment made before knowing the facts. A prejudgment. And that's prejudice. And that's racism.

It was eye opening for a liberal kid who was just sure he wasn't a racist. And the first step toward being less of one.

Take care,

Ed

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 09-19-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 PM

I was raised in Southern Illinois during the late 60s, when the whole race deal was in full swing. I had to fight to keep my lunch money at least twice a week, and it was always a black kid trying to take it. I lived right on the tracks, in an area of town that was blacks and po white trash. I can remember getting whoopings for being caught playing with the black kids, or playing on the playground stuff at the black school (it was closed down but still there empty). My father was/is a terrible racist, who picked cotton right next to black folks during and after the depression. I was raised to believe they were some sort of sub-human type being. By the time I moved to Louisiana when I turned 17, I had a general hatred for blacks, but then something funny happened. I met a black guy at work, and he and I became very good friends. Honestly, it was the first time I really thought of them as people, with feelings just like my own. While I lived down there, I continued to make black friends, and the whole race thing became un-important. However, when I moved to Kansas, I was treated very poorly by black people I would approach. Race was once again a big deal. I guess I have slipped back into my older way of thinking, but I'm not 100% sure why. It was always JUST blacks though, never any other race or type of person. I can only think that it has to be partly how I was raised, and partly the atmosphere I find myself in today. I truly believe that things have only gotten worse since Obama's election (not his fault of course). I see more white people being racist by trying extra hard to be nice to blacks then the other way around. I just wish the whole country could be like it was down in Baton Rouge and New Orleans when I was there. I just never really thought about race then.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:19 PM

I was friends w/this black kid at McCallie, the boarding high school in Chattanooga I went to. He was from Louisville, Ky, & was the 1st black boarding student the school had. I had been to Louisville several times earlier in my life, & he & I kinda struck up a friendship talkin' about Louisville. He was pretty smart, & a good track 'n' field man, me, I was about as athletic as a commode seat. Anyhow, in '75, our senior year, he says for me to come up to his room, all serious-like...What have I done now ? i get up there, he says SIT DOWN ! & I kinda go uhh-uhh-uhh-wha-? "SIT DOWN !! Yessir. I sit down in his beanbag chair-it WAS the '70s, after all, he has this Serious-As-A-Heart-Attack look on his face, puts on this record...And its Richard Pryor, "That N*gg*r's Crazy !" I sit there & howl for the next 45 minutes, I don't think I'd EVER heard anything so profane-or funny-in my life up to that point...Chatman just laid there on his bed up on one elbow w/this big-ass grin on his face....I lost track of him after we graduated, but I've often wondered what happened to him..He was PLENTY smart enuff to have become a doctor or a dentist, that's kinda what he wanted to do, IIRC. He was a good guy. I've missed him a bit down thru the years...
Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

Guess I was lucky to be born in Quebec where you might think I would dislike the French but since our family inter-married, Anglo Protestant and French Catholic I would have had to dislike my own. Left me pretty well color blind.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Well, I like most dogs better than I like most people...does that make me a racist, or just an asshole?

Chas
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, I like most dogs better than I like most people...does that make me a racist, or just an asshole?

Chas
I would say neither, many people other than you and me have come to that conclusion.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Dogs are fantastic judges of character...
Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Only wish I were savvy enough to post a pic of my No. 1 buddy, little Biscuit, Minirature American Eskimo. She has biscuit coloring, hence the name.

She may be a born again hair factory, but she's with you every inch of the way.

Biscuit, Rat Face, Smelly, Itchy, Stupid, Shut The Fuck Up...she responds with equal enthausim. She knows which side of the bread has the butter, and she wants her cut.

May only weigh 20 lbs, but she's had the guts to bite me twice. I've since learned my lesson, even if she eats a new pair of sneakers, or strings toilet paper all over the house, only a fool will attempt to extract her from her liar (under the bed) to stand before the mast.

Is this what one would call a munity?

Wait 15 minutes, and ring the doorbell, she comes roaring out like Noon cussing Sarah Palin. Still a sucker for the doorbell.

Ellie May's critter, and I love 'em both. How can you not love a critter which will bite the hand that feeds it, and five minutes later try to shake you down for a goodie?

Damn dog would make a hell of a safety...no matter how bad she fucks up, 30 seconds later she's forgot in ever happened, and and is 100% back on the job.

Moxie, and I like it,

Chas