Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Predictions for 2010

Now that the stock market is headed back up towards 10,000 and Ben Bernake says that the recession is over , I'd like to hear some opinions of the economy in the upcoming year.

I'll give my .02 after a few people have chimed in, so as to not sour the milk in any given direction
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

It will continue circling the bowl.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Inflation, hopefully not "hyper".
Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Berbacke is an idgit !

Until consumers are spending money again no ones gonna get any better except politicians and big biz.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Berbacke is an idgit !

Until consumers are spending money again no ones gonna get any better except politicians and big biz.
Come on Grumpy, give Helicopter Ben a little credit. At least he's talking things up. The economy is basically a confidence game anyway, try to get the rubes to go back into debt.

You do remember his famous statement, something to the effect the he had no fear of deflation. All that one had to do way print more money, and he would "dump it out of a helicopter" if he had to. Looks more like they're dumping it our of 747's, the trick is getting the genie back into the bottle once deflation is no longer a problem.

I reckon we'll see, but history indicates inflation, just how bad is anyone's guess. My only advice is not to hoard fiat currency.

Chas
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Lookit what gold 'n' silver are doin...Go to "Kitco.com" & check out "All Metals quotes"...Gold is at $1017 an ounce, & silver's over $17 bux an ounce...The last big coin show my buddy Walter went to a few weeks ago, there was hardly ANY bullion of either type to be had...Usually, at the big regional shows like he goes to, they're AWASH in it...The Big Boys, I think, are smellin' somethin' BIG coming...Might make 1980-81 look like nothing....
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Lookit what gold 'n' silver are doin...Go to "Kitco.com" & check out "All Metals quotes"...Gold is at $1017 an ounce, & silver's over $17 bux an ounce...The last big coin show my buddy Walter went to a few weeks ago, there was hardly ANY bullion of either type to be had...Usually, at the big regional shows like he goes to, they're AWASH in it...The Big Boys, I think, are smellin' somethin' BIG coming...Might make 1980-81 look like nothing....
Yep, and also look at non-hybrid seeds.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 AM

My crystal ball tells me that we're headed for another downturn, a "W"-shaped recession/depression. Commercial real estate failures, a bunch more underwater home mortgages, and as a result, bank failures and emergency mergers.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
My crystal ball tells me that we're headed for another downturn, a "W"-shaped recession/depression. Commercial real estate failures, a bunch more underwater home mortgages, and as a result, bank failures and emergency mergers.
A lot of people are saying that.

Chas
Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM

2010 is general election year in the U.K. Has to be held then at the latest by law (unless we're involved in war, national insurrection etc.). Interesting arguments. Opposition (Tories) saying "we're all screwed so let us in", incumbants (Labor) saying "we're fixing it, keep us in". Public meanwhile is in such a state of disillusionment/appathy that it's doubtful that more than 50% will bother to vote EXCEPT for supporters of the extremist parties. There are a few on the far left but they're generally regarded as a joke. The danger is the far right, mainly the BNP (British Nationalist Party). They already hold two seats in the EU; it's not inconceivable that they could get one or two MP's in the U.K.

Possible result? Blockage. Protesters on the streets, intimadition from both sides and the economy going through the worst screw-up since the 1970's. I know this won't seem a big deal to you guys, but with so many industries interlinked, when we fart you smell it too.