Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I've been listening to some new(er) music lately.

The Decemberists - The King is Dead
The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest
Vampire Weekend - S/T (my son's album. Catchy stuff.)
I have all of those except for Vampire Weekend. Thanks for a new band to follow. Catchy sums up Vampire nicely. There is quite a bit of little nuances happening in their songs.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Five disc changer?

Chas
Just five big discs. I use a dedicated computer to serve my flac files. I've thought of going back to vinyl, but I gave all my records away years ago and I'm too impatient to deal with a turntable.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I've been running a Magnum Dynalab ST1 on the roof for years. Think it might be time for an ST2. Or maybe the Highly regarded Fanfare model? I also think I need to raise the mast another section or two.

How do you like the Weingard?

Dave
It's pretty good for a cheap omni, will pull a couple of stations 70 miles out. I've got it mounted pretty low.

Remember years ago I had one of those round dial Pioneer super tuner AM/FM's in my truck. Depending on how I parked and weather conditions, I could pull Kansas City & St. Louis in with it. Either one is well over 100 miles in a straight line.

Actually, the best tuner I currently have is the one in my 1000A. It's only a three gang, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as my 717, but it pulls in an incredible amount of stations. It's been recalibrated and I replaced the nuvistors.

Bad thing is, unless I go with a directional and a rotor there still isn't shit to listen to, or perhaps I should say there's nothing to listen to but shit.

Chas
Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Just five big discs. I use a dedicated computer to serve my flac files. I've thought of going back to vinyl, but I gave all my records away years ago and I'm too impatient to deal with a turntable.
I still like the old rekkerd player. It's a game for cranks.

Chas
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Quote:
I still like the old rekkerd player. It's a game for cranks.

Chas
I have five of the dang things. I need to start thinning the herd, though.

Dave
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Resident octogenarian

Solveig's Song - Grieg. Fired up the CR-3020 and it is locked onto WBJC.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Loyal Opposition

Van Morrison - Too Late to Stop Now - really makes me wish for an opportunity to see him live.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I have all of those except for Vampire Weekend. Thanks for a new band to follow. Catchy sums up Vampire nicely. There is quite a bit of little nuances happening in their songs.
Their music is an interesting combination of Indie Rock and the Soweto sound (made famous by Paul Simon's Graceland). Their second album, Contra, emphasizes the Soweto sound even more than the first.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
It's pretty good for a cheap omni, will pull a couple of stations 70 miles out. I've got it mounted pretty low.

Remember years ago I had one of those round dial Pioneer super tuner AM/FM's in my truck. Depending on how I parked and weather conditions, I could pull Kansas City & St. Louis in with it. Either one is well over 100 miles in a straight line.

Actually, the best tuner I currently have is the one in my 1000A. It's only a three gang, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as my 717, but it pulls in an incredible amount of stations. It's been recalibrated and I replaced the nuvistors.

Bad thing is, unless I go with a directional and a rotor there still isn't shit to listen to, or perhaps I should say there's nothing to listen to but shit.

Chas
I guess I am at an advantage as I live in the city. Some of the stations I listen to are only a few miles away. Unfortunately, it also means I have a greater selection of absolute crap to listen to.

Dave
Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Admin

This mornin' a little high energy blues!
Walter Trout- Unspoiled by Progress. BLUES with attitude!
The first track is 'The Working Class!' ,followed by Goin' Down........
He's huge in Europe and Britain and a local grown Bluesbreaker from Huntington Beach. His former bassist Jimmy Trapp was a good friend and fellow fishin' nut. Too bad ole Mongo was taken from us way too early. I miss him.

Last edited by bobabode; 03-22-2012 at 01:34 PM.