Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 AM
Persona non grata

Tulsi Gabbard

One of the very few Democrats left that hasn't gone batshit crazy with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Quote:
Last Sunday, I returned from a visit to Syria with renewed commitment and calls for the U.S. to end our counter-productive, regime-change war in Syria. I met with Syrian people, refugees, humanitarian works, religious leaders of various faiths, opposition leaders, students, professors, and more. What I heard from them confirmed what I already knew to be true, and has been well-documented by journalists: the “rebels” the U.S. has quietly been providing direct and indirect support to in Syria are allied with and working directly under al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups. The Syrian people are pleading for peace, for the U.S. to stop arming and supporting these terrorist groups who are destroying their lives, and to allow the Syrian people to determine the future of Syria for themselves.

Yet, upon my return, sharing their message, and urging support for my legislation the Stop Arming Terrorists Act, I was attacked by the mainstream media. Why? For seeking peace. For seeking an end to the insanity of the U.S. policy of spending trillions of dollars on regime-change wars that cause tremendous human suffering, loss of life, refugees and devastation of the environment, resulting in terrorist groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS to grow stronger. These wars enrich the military industrial complex yet bankrupt the American people, leaving our communities hungry for resources to serve basic needs.

I am more determined than ever to fight for the American people, to fight for peace, fight to end this counterproductive, illegal regime change war in Syria. This war does not serve the interests of the Syrian people, nor does it serve the interests of the American people.

Yet as a member of Congress, I’m not an island. In order to get anything done in this democracy that we live in, we must collaborate and find common ground wherever possible. Whether we strongly agree or disagree with our colleagues, no matter their party, on every issue we must put the best interest of the American people first - not the interest of one’s political party.

There are some people who think the best way to handle the next four years is to obstruct at every turn. I disagree. You won’t get four years of emails from me trying to raise money by bashing Trump and the Republicans on each issue that comes up. I believe we need to work with whomever we need to in order to further the cause of peace and to secure the interests of the American people.

I believe we must do whatever we can to end the corruption that has allowed Wall Street to gamble with the hard earned dollars of the American people; to end the revolving door between Washington lobbyists and corporate executives; to protect our water supplies and environment; to protect social security and critical safety nets in our country; to protect civil liberties and reform a criminal justice system that penalizes the poor and gives a slap on the wrist to the wealthy and powerful.

My experience in the military taught me that the most important thing is to get the job done. In politics, sometimes that means speaking up, sometimes that means protest, and sometimes that means working together where there is common ground.

As we look to the next four years, I will continue to do what I always have: I will address each and every issue according to its own merits and fight for what is in the best interests of the people.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:59 AM
Admin

She's lost whatever tiny bit of credibility she had left with that stunt she pulled meeting with Assad. I can't wait to see her primaried in two years.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:33 AM
Jigsawed

The MSM story re Syria is driven mainly by CNN which has a markedly neoconservative/Likud agenda.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
She's lost whatever tiny bit of credibility she had left with that stunt she pulled meeting with Assad. I can't wait to see her primaried in two years.
Thought you said you were going to put me on ignore?

Can't even keep your word?

What a pathetic little loser you are.

"He's a real nowhere man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody"
Old 02-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Admin

weh...
Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Persona non grata

Like they say, "a man is only as good as his word".
Old 02-03-2017, 10:15 PM

Both Assad and ISIS are and were defacto allies. Assad's scorched earth policy
created the power vacuum into which former Baathists from Iraq stepped in as ISIS. Assad used their presence to continue and justify his chemical weapons and barrel bombs. Putin, Turkey and Iran will have nothing but a threatened city-state with a war criminal as mayor. And that is being optimistic.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:57 AM
Loyal Opposition

Moving this to politics.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Resident octogenarian

They should kick her out of the party.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
They should kick her out of the party.
We'll be happy to donate to a primary challenger. Hawai'i deserves better.