Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM

I like when democrats use the 90's as an example of how they created a great economy under Clinton. Then the republican rebuttal is that the red congress was responsible. How about the technological revolution which saw a few small companies like Intel and Microsoft become global giants and make Americans a fortune? I don't think government had nearly as much to do with the booming economy as the thriving market. It also saw the criminal banks handing money out like it was free and so many people getting in over there heads which lead to the Bush era depression. And then the opposite both sides play the blame game. I don't give credit or blame to either side for either time frame.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Area Man

Sounds reasonable to me. But, fat headed sharks like Gingrich will always try to grab credit for anything good.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-23-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Iirc the Dem Congress reupped it, and Obama signed it.

Pete
Old 09-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

'whell' said

But I thought Clinton was the first black President?

Pete
Old 09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Resident octogenarian

You guys make me laugh, unrestrained growth my arse. If the Feds don't do it who will? Charitable organizations? Right, just as long as you are willing to adopt their dogma. The whole neighbourhood will band together to repave the street? Actually we used to hire a crop duster to spray all our trees for webworm, hasn't been done for ten years at least.

Abe Lincoln said it best;

"The legitimate object of government is to do for people what needs to be done." Lincoln made these comments on what role the government should play on July 1, 1854. Lincoln asked why government exists. "Why not each individual," he said, "take himself the whole fruit of his labor, without having any of it taxed away , , , ?" He answered saying that government should do what people cannot do by individual effort. Lincoln cited many examples of things that people cannot do on their own: making and maintaining roads and bridges, providing for the helpless, providing schools, and disposing of the deceased's property. Other responsibilities of government, Lincoln pointed out, are because of the "injustice of men." These responsibilities include the forming and maintaining of the military, police, and civil departments. Lincoln said the government should protect its citizens and prevent them from committing wrongs. He said it was not the government's place to redress the wrongs of the world, but it "may, and ought to, redress all wrongs which are wrongs to the nation itself."

Lets face it we are the least taxed of the industrialized nations yet we still piss and moan about taxes 'cause we are cheap.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
You guys make me laugh, unrestrained growth my arse. If the Feds don't do it who will? Charitable organizations? Right, just as long as you are willing to adopt their dogma. The whole neighbourhood will band together to repave the street? Actually we used to hire a crop duster to spray all our trees for webworm, hasn't been done for ten years at least.

Abe Lincoln said it best;

"The legitimate object of government is to do for people what needs to be done." Lincoln made these comments on what role the government should play on July 1, 1854. Lincoln asked why government exists. "Why not each individual," he said, "take himself the whole fruit of his labor, without having any of it taxed away , , , ?" He answered saying that government should do what people cannot do by individual effort. Lincoln cited many examples of things that people cannot do on their own: making and maintaining roads and bridges, providing for the helpless, providing schools, and disposing of the deceased's property. Other responsibilities of government, Lincoln pointed out, are because of the "injustice of men." These responsibilities include the forming and maintaining of the military, police, and civil departments. Lincoln said the government should protect its citizens and prevent them from committing wrongs. He said it was not the government's place to redress the wrongs of the world, but it "may, and ought to, redress all wrongs which are wrongs to the nation itself."

Lets face it we are the least taxed of the industrialized nations yet we still piss and moan about taxes 'cause we are cheap.
All of Lincoln's message in fine. The problem is that we seem to have an explosion of helpless people.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk View Post
All of Lincoln's message in fine. The problem is that we seem to have an explosion of helpless people.
The fruits of the anti union movement?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Where does it stop?

Pete
Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Where does it stop?

Pete
Just maybe when children no longer go to bed hungry.

Maybe when the richest country in the world no longer has citizens living below the poverty line.

Maybe when we stop making Pharmaceutical companies super wealthy and giving eight figure salaries to CEOs.

When all senior citizens can eat real food.

You need to find a copy of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poem "The Children"

Last edited by merrylander; 09-24-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Just maybe when children no longer go to bed hungry.

Maybe when the richest country in the world no longer has citizens living below the poverty line.

Maybe when we stop making Pharmaceutical companies super wealthy and giving eight figure salaries to CEOs.

When ball senior citizens can eat real food.

You need to find a copy of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poem "The Children"

It's "The Cry Of The Children" and here it is

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/172981