Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I used to eat at Shoney's and Captain D's ( I have this friend who once lamented to me he was fired from Captain D's for not being "Captain D" material lol). I used to hit all the strip clubs too...there was one named Three Fat Guys.

Me and my buddy would drive over the bridge out to Isle Of Palms on our motorcycles. I was there for Hugo, and actually saw Warrant at the Flying Dutchmen (by mistake of course).
The Flying Dutchman long gone - I actually flew home before Hugo because my Mom refused to leave her house

I ended up staying with her - every old oak in the yard uprooted - not one hit the house.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 PM

The Taco Bell on Rivers Ave(the street with the Winn Dixie and K-Mart on the opposite side of the Hospital) got completely destroyed.

I was on the 4th floor of the hospital when the eye came through...the building actually swayed back and fourth...it was sort of scary.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
Good for us. We recently landed a new Daimler plant, Boeing here, BMW here - we will be coming to steal your factories soon!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-ca...-sc-1431340237
These businesses should rethink locating in South Carolina until that fucking Flag comes down.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
These businesses should rethink locating in South Carolina until that fucking Flag comes down.
If one of them had the balls to make the credible threat of relocation, it would be gone the next day.

If anything positive comes out of this recent mass murder, it would be to remove that flag and accelerate the movement of the rest of SC out of the dark ages - although in all likelihood kicking and screaming.

I think it is inevitable now - and sooner than later. The combination of recent international business, mass coastal tourism, and this recent abomination exposing for the world the remaining latent bile will force change - the threat of capital flight will force change faster than any appeal for common sense - every time.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Rational Anarchist

^^^
That bile you're referencing is not all that latent, and it exists nationwide and class wide.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
^^^
That bile you're referencing is not all that latent, and it exists nationwide and class wide.
Perhaps "kept from the public eye more than 40 years ago" would have communicated my thoughts more effectively.

There are no longer public lynchings, State sanctioned segregation, or blatant attempts at voter suppression - those violations still occur, but the perpetrators attempt to cloak the "bile" either in tongue twisted attempts at moral and civic justification or simply keeping the offences from public view.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
^^^
Sadly true 'nuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Good for us. We recently landed a new Daimler plant, Boeing here, BMW here - we will be coming to steal your factories soon!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volvo-ca...-sc-1431340237
One question;

Do Southern States create their own major manufacturing jobs, or do they just take them from someone else?

I can think of a few..........but not many.

Here, in Virginia, they seem to come and go with the exception of Stihl which has been here since 1983, ( I think.).

We lost the Ford plant when it went back to Michigan.

We also lost Federal-Mogul, Huntsman Chemicals and Siemens to Canada and Mexico.

All of those companies were based somewhere else.

We have the shipyards here, but most of that is owned by out of state companies as well (and dependent on federal spending);

BAE Systems, Northrup Grumman, Huntington-Ingalls..........
Old 06-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Area Man

Quote:
If one of them had the balls to make the credible threat of relocation, it would be gone the next day.

If anything positive comes out of this recent mass murder, it would be to remove that flag and accelerate the movement of the rest of SC out of the dark ages - although in all likelihood kicking and screaming.

I think it is inevitable now - and sooner than later. The combination of recent international business, mass coastal tourism, and this recent abomination exposing for the world the remaining latent bile will force change - the threat of capital flight will force change faster than any appeal for common sense - every time.
If the state is offering them sweet deals to locate there and I'm pretty sure they are, they aren't going to say anything.

It's all about the money.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:20 AM

In Charleston, we have several local companies that are international and "home grown."

Blackbaud (fund raising software systems giant) began and remains here. Force Protection (manufactures the MRAP armored vehicle) local. We are becoming an information/tech hub more than a manufacturing center in Charleston. Several local tech/info systems companies support SPAWAR (the Naval Special Weapons Research Lab) here as well as the Naval Nuclear Power School. Many HR/Heath Care/Software firms choosing Charleston for headquarters because of the quality of life/beauty of the city.

The big boys are, however, from "off" - Boeing, Volvo, Mercedes here in the Charleston area and BMW in Greenville at the far north border.