Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:31 AM
Ready

Human brains are equipped with some of nature's finest circuitry for the purpose of ensuring we don't do things that could get us ostracized from our community. In Wyoming, that means you don't vote for Liz Cheney this time.

Last edited by donquixote99; 08-17-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Human brains are equipped with some of nature's finest circuitry for the purpose of insuring we don't do things that could get us ostracized from our community. In Wyoming, that means you don't vote for Liz Cheney this time.
I guess that circuitry disconnects the brain from the backbone?

Old 08-17-2022, 09:17 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
I guess that circuitry disconnects the brain from the backbone?
More often than not.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:29 AM

Stephen Bush @stephenkb

"What does her defeat tell us about the future of US democracy? The clearest message is that the Republican party has become an authoritarian cult."

@EdwardGLuce on the GOP and the defeat of Liz Cheney:

The truth that set Liz Cheney free
Her lonely stance against Donald Trump was seen as treachery by today’s cult-like Republicans
https://www.ft.com/content/9c4e8691-...3-c75c992297f8

5:40 AM · Aug 17, 2022·Twitter Web App

Quote:
If Republicanism is Trump and Trump is Republicanism, the party and the country are heading for a reckoning. “We stand at the edge of an abyss,” Cheney recently said.

What does her defeat tell us about the future of US democracy? The clearest message is that the Republican party has become an authoritarian cult. Cheney is among the most conservative lawmakers in the US. She voted 93 per cent of the time with Trump during his term in office. She is for every tax cut, against every abortion, and in favour of every new weapons system on offer. Much like her father, Dick Cheney, the former vice-president, Liz Cheney is as close as a politician gets to personifying the Stars and Stripes. She is as far from being moderate — “Republican in name only” as they are pejoratively called — as any of her colleagues.

Cheney’s defenestration thus begs the question: what defines today’s Republican party? Its grassroots is driven by two passions: who it loves and who it hates. The party’s base idolises Trump. Everyone in Washington knows the same is not true of many if not most elected Republicans. Figures such as Florida’s Marco Rubio and Texas’s Ted Cruz were speaking their minds in 2016 when they depicted Trump as a low life con artist. Harriet Hageman, the Trump-endorsed Republican who unseated Cheney, was probably sincere in 2016 when she called Trump a “racist and xenophobic”. Ambition, and fear of the mob, have turned all these figures into hollow mini-Trumps.
MAGAMorons. Simple, despicable, misinformed fools.

Last edited by Chicks; 08-17-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 AM

"Democrats enamored of Liz Cheney seem to have amnesia,
I admire her loyalty to the Constitution and her efforts to reform the Republican Party. But I won’t be blinded by her light."
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...-run-rcna43504
Old 08-18-2022, 08:44 AM
Ready

Liz Cheney is principled and courageous, and has been essential in the current crisis. I'm fully aware of the defects in her worldview, but the above is true nonetheless.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:13 AM

I don't get it. Liz Cheney before the second impeachment voted with tRump and Repubs 93% of the time, she and her family have been Repub conservatives for life yet Reich-Wing media and tRump apologists love to say she and her family have a lifelong hatred for him.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:19 AM

She will be vindicated once we get details on the documents Trump stole from the WH. Newsweek, not always reliable anymore, is reporting that one of the docs had payroll info of our foreign intelligence.

Quote:
two federal government sources tell Newsweek—documents with the potential to reveal U.S. intelligence sources, including human sources on the American government payroll.
Usually I expect something like this on NYT, so still a bit suspicious. Or if true, its probably too late.

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-t...ayroll-1733230
Old 08-19-2022, 09:34 AM

Aside from all the cult politics and other distractions, I just don't think voters would vote a woman into the office of president. I don't think we are there yet.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Aside from all the cult politics and other distractions, I just don't think voters would vote a woman into the office of president. I don't think we are there yet.
Hillary won the popular vote by 2.9 million. We're there; the antiquated Electoral College, which favors the Redneck states, isn't.