Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:00 AM

Infrastructure

Infrastructure is defined as physical and organizational structures and facilities needed for the operation of a society or enterprise according to the online dictionary.

Here is a breakdown of the infrastructure bill Biden is proposing:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...an/4820227001/

For the most part, I like what is proposed. I do, however, have to stretch my mind around some of the components as being part of infrastructure.

For example, I understand how improving the electrical grid and expanding internet access is considered in infrastructure, but, I'm having a bit of a problem with the inclusion of elder care in infrastructure. I know there is a need for what is proposed and I support that effort, I'm just having ha hard time connecting it with "infrastructure".

What are your thoughts about the proposed infrastructure bill?
Old 04-10-2021, 10:27 AM

Looking at the elder care, everyone who lives long enough will need assistance of some kind. Why should it not be in the same category as roads bridges internet ect?
If the government had been putting the surplus paid in on SS over the years into nursing homes and staff training educational reimbursements. Think of where we be now.

Why should those who save own property don't rob Peter to pay Paul. Pay taxes like they should will loss everything to pay for care. Then those who have nothing to lose or take get care paid for by the government.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Infrastructure is defined as physical and organizational structures and facilities needed for the operation of a society or enterprise according to the online dictionary.

Here is a breakdown of the infrastructure bill Biden is proposing:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...an/4820227001/

For the most part, I like what is proposed. I do, however, have to stretch my mind around some of the components as being part of infrastructure.

For example, I understand how improving the electrical grid and expanding internet access is considered in infrastructure, but, I'm having a bit of a problem with the inclusion of elder care in infrastructure. I know there is a need for what is proposed and I support that effort, I'm just having ha hard time connecting it with "infrastructure".

What are your thoughts about the proposed infrastructure bill?
I too question inclusion of elderly care in infrastructure because it is not a publicly owned entity like seaports, airports, roads & bridges, electrical grid and the almighty internet. As with any bills, there are always political considerations and here is where I would like Biden's administration to favor the swing states over the red states.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:10 PM

Oerets, I know what you mean regarding the situation many face in their old age. There are few legal ways to protect property and assets from the cost of medical/old age care.
I just have a hard time using funding for elder care when it is designated for infrastructure.
I think they should allocate more money through Health and Human Services for the expansion of established programs that assist the elderly. That funding has been stagnant for many years despite the fact that the boomer tsunami was coming.

Rajoo, the public does pay for programs that assist the elderly. While elder care is not an "entity" as such, it does cost tax payer dollars.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:25 PM

Much like a school road airport energy are considered in common interest for the nation and it's economy. So must the health and well being of the citizens. Universal healthcare daycare and eldercare also is a part of the picture for the vast majority of the nations workers.

I have a BIG problem with being forced to pay the expenses of those who take steps to protect their assets from nursing homes or medical bills. Or those who lived like there was no tomorrow knowing full well that when it does come others will be responsible.

I have a old french word for them......muchier! (Moocher)

Last edited by Oerets; 04-10-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:38 AM

Oerets, What do you mean by, "those who take steps to protect their assets from nursing homes or medical bills"?
One kind of steps are you talking about?
Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Oerets, What do you mean by, "those who take steps to protect their assets from nursing homes or medical bills"?
One kind of steps are you talking about?

I'm sure you have seen the ad to protect your assets. Usually this is by a setting up a Irrevocable Trust. Gifting assets such as signing over a home to kids.

Getting the assets out of your name. Whole industries out there to do these and other methods.

My point is who ends up paying the bill for the care? It should be evident that most people feel it should be a benefit. One where you are on equal terms as the person who has zero assets to loose. Should they be rewarded for their choices? Where the person who does better is punished for saving?

Much like the extra rider I carry on auto insurance to cover the drivers with no insurance or under insured ones. Why should I be paying for them saving money? Shouldn't they be force to cover themselves fully?

Or the tax doggier ad for IRS relief, pay pennies on the dollars owed......

I have problems with all of those who are willing to take and then let others pay their tab.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I'm sure you have seen the ad to protect your assets. Usually this is by a setting up a Irrevocable Trust. Gifting assets such as signing over a home to kids.

Getting the assets out of your name. Whole industries out there to do these and other methods.

My point is who ends up paying the bill for the care? It should be evident that most people feel it should be a benefit. One where you are on equal terms as the person who has zero assets to loose. Should they be rewarded for their choices? Where the person who does better is punished for saving?

Much like the extra rider I carry on auto insurance to cover the drivers with no insurance or under insured ones. Why should I be paying for them saving money? Shouldn't they be force to cover themselves fully?

Or the tax doggier ad for IRS relief, pay pennies on the dollars owed......

I have problems with all of those who are willing to take and then let others pay their tab.
FYI, the vast majority of the so called Tax Relief companies are scammers. The people being ripped off are the people using those companies to try to avoid paying their taxes.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...lief-companies
Old 04-11-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
FYI, the vast majority of the so called Tax Relief companies are scammers. The people being ripped off are the people using those companies to try to avoid paying their taxes.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...lief-companies

You are more then likely correct in that point.

The issue I was attempting to point out is that there are many who want to enjoy the countries fruits. Just want others to pay the way for them. I feel that taxes should be use the cover the costs of expenses.

Back to the grouping elder care into the blank term of infrastructure. I see it as a way to show the citizens that government does care about their needs more fully. Not just in the roads schools water electricity also their care when sick and old. Fact is now a person in need of care will in most all cases get attention. Just where the funds come from is at question.

Last edited by Oerets; 04-11-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
You are more then likely correct in that point.

The issue I was attempting to point out is that there are many who want to enjoy the countries fruits. Just want others to pay the way for them. I feel that taxes should be use the cover the costs of expenses.

Back to the grouping elder care into the blank term of infrastructure. I see it as a way to show the citizens that government does care about their needs more fully. Not just in the roads schools water electricity also their care when sick and old. Fact it now a person in need of care will in most all cases get attention. Just where the funds come from is at question.
I'm in complete agreement with you on that.