Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM

So, who gives us that "right"?

I think health care and protection from being murdered by having a steel spike shoved your brain are two completely different things. Try to focus on just the one for a post or two.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:41 PM

My first answer would be to say common decency. If we have the ability to cure an illness, it seems like we should. But I know that's not what you’re looking for.

Okay, how about this. The Supreme Court has ruled that denying health care to prisoners is cruel and unusual punishment. In other words, prisoners have a right to health care. Wouldn't logic dictate that if the people who are incarcerated for breaking our laws have a right to health care, that right should be extended to law abiding citizens?

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 09-30-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
My first answer would be to say common decency. If we have the ability to cure an illness, it seems like we should. But I know that's not what your looking for.

Okay, how about this. The Supreme Court has ruled that denying health care to prisoners is cruel and unusual punishment. In otherwords, prisoners have a right to health care. Wouldn't logic dictate that if the people who are incarserated for breaking our laws have a right to health care, that right should be extended to law abiding citizens?
Prisoners for the most part are "imprisoned". That means we have taken away their ability to fend for themselves. That's why they call them wards of the state.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
That means we have taken away their ability to fend for themselves.
We've taken it away? They're victims? They don't have to take personal responsibility for their actions?

You could just as easily say they gave up their rights. And if that's the case, why do they get a right that the rest of us don't? Or if I lose my job, you could say my employer took away my ability to get health care. It's a game of semantics at that point.

Fact is, we say prisoners have a right to health care but the rest of us don't. Unless we're a fetus.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, I love ya like a brother man, but I know you are smarter than that. The only rights we as humans have, are the rights that God gives us. Man himself doesn't give rights. He neither has the ability or the desire. Man's basic instinct is to dominate and suppress. C'mon, this is first year liberal college stuff mang.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, I love ya like a brother man, but I know you are smarter than that. The only rights we as humans have, are the rights that God gives us. Man himself doesn't give rights. He neither has the ability or the desire. Man's basic instinct is to dominate and suppress. C'mon, this is first year liberal college stuff mang.
Oh good. I won't have to hear about this "right" to have guns. That was give to us by man, not God. Sure, you can say only God has the ability to give rights, but you'll have hard time taking all the others away. "Sorry man, no trial for you!"
Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 PM

No, the constitution (which men fought and died for) "guarantees" me certain "God Given" rights. I can find NO reference to health care in that document. Maybe you could point it out to me.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:34 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Posts #9 to #17 are getting down to it. Please carry on. This is good stuff, at last!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
No, the constitution (which men fought and died for) "guarantees" me certain "God Given" rights. I can find NO reference to health care in that document. Maybe you could point it out to me.
A couple of simple questions: is the right to bear arms a God given right? Is the right to a trial a God given right? Do I have the right to be considered innocent until proven guilty?

There's nothing in the Constitution about a right to a fair trial. Nothing about a right to get married. Nothing about a right to privacy.

You are right. There is nothing in the Constitution about health care- just like so many other rights we have. Rights given to us by men. Wise men who built a great democracy. Some of us feel that health care should be among those rights. And "not in the Constitution" is no better arguement against it than it would be for any of these other rights.

(source:http://atheism.about.com/od/churchst...nstitution.htm)
Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo55 View Post
Noon, could you define "Investor Class" as you use it?
Sure.

Folks who live off corporate profits without ever producing a good or service.