Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Vetting Sotomayer

SEN. KENNEDY: "Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is -- and is often the only -- protector of the individual rights that are the heart of our democracy... President Reagan is still our president. But he should not be able to reach out from the muck of Irangate, reach into the muck of Watergate and impose his reactionary vision of the Constitution on the Supreme Court and the next generation of Americans. No justice would be better than this injustice."

Do you suppose any Republicans will attack Ms Sotomayer in this manner?

Chas
Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 AM

Nope. The Swimmer can get away w/saying shyte like this because, well, he IS Senator Kennedy, liberal lion of the Senate, champeen of the poor, downtrodden, & Oppressed, smiter of rich, evil, conservative bigots...Besides, we all know full well that liberals get a mulligan on saying stuff like this, because they're ALWAYS on the side of what's good & fair, God (Just don't mention Him at a public place) Motherhood (Especially if you have 2 mommies) 'n' Apple Pie (I won't eat it if the apples were sprayed w/insecticide...)
Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
SEN. KENNEDY: "Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is -- and is often the only -- protector of the individual rights that are the heart of our democracy... President Reagan is still our president. But he should not be able to reach out from the muck of Irangate, reach into the muck of Watergate and impose his reactionary vision of the Constitution on the Supreme Court and the next generation of Americans. No justice would be better than this injustice."

Do you suppose any Republicans will attack Ms Sotomayer in this manner?

Chas
newt already has, so has rush.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/05...y5043597.shtml

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/23024.html
Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Abby Normal

Sotomayor's resume, record

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/...ume/index.html
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

It seems that what Kennedy predicted has come to pass, can you say No Knock warrants? How many innocent people have died?

Abortions banned in many states regardless of whether continuing with the pregnancy will kill the mother - yeah, serves her right she should never have had sex in the first place.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 AM

She has been vetted and confirmed twice already. Right?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Abby Normal

Good point
Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM

While I find her comment to be quite benign for a racist remark, Rush and Newt do have a point. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Personally, I think that it's time everyone grew up and admitted that everyone is racist to a certain extent. It's the nature of the beast. And I also feel that Kennedy's remarks were purely political, and far beyond the limits of a rational critique.

And what have may come to pass after his (Kennedy) remarks do not reflect on Robert Bork, as he was never appointed.

By the way, it is my opinion that an abortion is a private matter, and none of the government's business. And while there may be a time and a place for a no knock, the guidelines need to be narrowed considerably. Hell, the entire scope of the government needs to be narrowed considerably.

Chas
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
y the way, it is my opinion that an abortion is a private matter, and none of the government's business. And while there may be a time and a place for a no knock, the guidelines need to be narrowed considerably. Hell, the entire scope of the government needs to be narrowed considerably.
Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh... Thank You, Charles. A sane voice is welcomed in this chaos.
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".
Old 05-29-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
While I find her comment to be quite benign for a racist remark, Rush and Newt do have a point. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Personally, I think that it's time everyone grew up and admitted that everyone is racist to a certain extent. It's the nature of the beast. And I also feel that Kennedy's remarks were purely political, and far beyond the limits of a rational critique.

And what have may come to pass after his (Kennedy) remarks do not reflect on Robert Bork, as he was never appointed.

By the way, it is my opinion that an abortion is a private matter, and none of the government's business. And while there may be a time and a place for a no knock, the guidelines need to be narrowed considerably. Hell, the entire scope of the government needs to be narrowed considerably.

Chas
Amen !! QFT !