Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:57 PM

The first thing that will need to be addressed is that, as population increases and technology accelerates, we will reach, have reached?, a point where there won't be enough jobs to go around. We are entering a "workerless age" where blue collar jobs are done by robots and white collar jobs by artificially intelligent computers. This will happen, perhaps sooner than we think, and we have to start thinking about ways to deal with the social and financial dislocations it will cause.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:38 PM

Did the Apollo program produce a sustainable result? Could it have?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

A bit overwrought, don't you think?

Personal investment or financial investment?
You're talking violent revolution, and you say I'm overwrought?

Investment. Period.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Did the Apollo program produce a sustainable result? Could it have?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Apollo, no. The ability to work in orbit pioneered by Apollo? Possibly.

I remain interested in solar power satellites.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You're talking violent revolution, and you say I'm overwrought?

Investment. Period.
I'm not talking about executing everyone who wears glasses.

And I'm not endorsing the idea of violent revolution, just saying that what you're after usually requires one, not a big government program like Apollo or the Manhattan project.

So how about addressing some of my other points?

Last edited by Boreas; 06-28-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Ready

Quote:
The first thing that will need to be addressed is that, as population increases and technology accelerates, we will reach, have reached?, a point where there won't be enough jobs to go around. We are entering a "workerless age" where blue collar jobs are done by robots and white collar jobs by artificially intelligent computers. This will happen, perhaps sooner than we think, and we have to start thinking about ways to deal with the social and financial dislocations it will cause.
This is a very relevant issue. A workerless age risks being a 'demandless age,' in terms of the classic consumer-demand driven economy. Even worse, what I see of populations denied work suggests a pretty dsytopian future.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Ready

Quote:
I'm not talking about executing everyone who wears glasses.

And I'm not endorsing the idea of violent revolution, just saying that what you're after usually requires one, not a big government program like Apollo or the Manhattan project.

So how about addressing some of my other points?
Appreciate the clarification regarding revolution. Agrarian to industrial happened without revolution. Oh there were revolutions, but the revolutionaries did not make the farm to industry transition happen (except perhaps in Russia/China, and the was megadeath involved with them....).

I am not a fan of revolution. Revolutionaries seem to go for absolute power, and there are big drawbacks to that.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the clarification regarding revolution. Agrarian to industrial happened without revolution. Oh there were revolutions, but the revolutionaries did not make the farm to industry transition happen (except perhaps in Russia/China, and the was megadeath involved with them....).

I am not a fan of revolution. Revolutionaries seem to go for absolute power, and there are big drawbacks to that.
The industrial revolution didn't result in the elimination of agriculture. Though the Russian Revolution resulted in the death or deportation of many, many people, notable the Kulaks, these atrocities were related to the collectivization of agricultural production, not it's elimination. The revolution I foresee most definitely involves the death of the capitalist system. That will be violently resisted.

Ours never underwent a totalitarian period and after "The Terror", a period of less than a year, France's didn't either.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
This is a very relevant issue. A workerless age risks being a 'demandless age,' in terms of the classic consumer-demand driven economy. Even worse, what I see of populations denied work suggests a pretty dsytopian future.
There will always be demand as long as there's such a thing as personal wealth. A workerless economy will still make things so it's in everyone's interest that the demand for products and services is maintained.

Enter guaranteed minimum income. Each of us would have to be guaranteed an income that was 1) divorced from the need to work and 2) sufficient to guarantee a good quality of life and the ability to consume the products and services of out economies.

The relative few of us who would work at tasks not yet within the capabilities of computers and robots would of course be compensated as would artist, writers, musicians, scientists, etc. They would form an intellectual elite wherein creativity and innovations in thought and technology would be venerated.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Before one replaces a system, one needs to have another system pretty much worked out in advance. Otherwise, anarchy and chaos reign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...6b1_story.html
Historically this is usually how it plays out. Uprisings rarely have planned that far ahead.