Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
"Flicker and Flash"???

That's good stuff!
Otherwise known as Constipation Energy.

John
Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
We're going through this now. As a member of "management" there are going to be some bad days ahead.

Here's the thing- it's just how our economy works. Publicly traded companies are about much more than making a profit. In fact, it seems they're more about driving a stock price than actually making money. So in an industry like mine- broadcasting- when new competition comes along it gets very tricky. We still make money- lots of it. But Internet, cable, smart phones and a bunch of other stuff I don't really understand came along and our industry started to decline. Stock prices are driven with growth.

So if you can't grow you have to contain costs. So that's what we're doing. Making millions and millions of dollars, but pushed to make huge cuts in an effort to elevate a stock price.

So what's the answer? I hate to sound like a broken record, but there need to be strong unions and appropriate regulation.

What's really ironic is that none of us are immune. A very good friend of mine just lost his job in Los Angeles. Being a department head and one of the best in our business didn't make any difference.
I was in "management", too, & a fat lot of good it did me...I got sacked for very nebulous reasons. Those of us who were in middle/lower management typically took it on the chin. We were typically paid less-a LOT less-than the people that reported to us. We had to be there from 8-5, God help you if you needed to go run some errands. I always thought WE needed a union at least as bad, if not moreso, than the slugs out in the plant. Oh, yeah, & any overtime was "On us", the company was grateful to you if you came in on Saturdays or stayed over. There was a half-promise of a "bonus", but often as not, it never came, & one year, it COST me money, as I got kicked up into the next tax bracket...And even when it did come, big woo, it was generally about an extra weeks' pay. Whoopty-shit...
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Resident octogenarian

I was management at Bell, never wanted any part of it here, mushroom management is what I call it - keep the employees in the dark and feed them horses**t.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Otherwise known as Constipation Energy.

John
We get our power from a local utility but they are just a front for TVA. TVA, as near as I can figure, is a big nebulous entity some where way up in the sky. Trying to get in touch with a human at TVA is about as hard as talking to the "Mighty Favog"!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
We get our power from a local utility but they are just a front for TVA. TVA, as near as I can figure, is a big nebulous entity some where way up in the sky. Trying to get in touch with a human at TVA is about as hard as talking to the "Mighty Favog"!
I think.... think, mind you.... that TVA is generation only. They sell power to middlemen like your utility. Constellation Energy owns a lot of the plants their power actually comes from.

John
Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Resident octogenarian

Well I just told Constipation to stick it and signed a two year fixed rate contract with a different supplier.

They sold a chunk of the Calvert Cliffs nuke to the French, funny thing is that foreign companies are not allowed to own any part of a French company.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Well I just told Constipation to stick it and signed a two year fixed rate contract with a different supplier.
Hmmm... Local competition might turn out to be nearly as good as a MUD. It'll have to be an improvement on your local monopoly.

Quote:
They sold a chunk of the Calvert Cliffs nuke to the French, funny thing is that foreign companies are not allowed to own any part of a French company.
Man, that is one old sucker! Has to be on it's last legs. Them Froggies got what they deserve.

John