Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:24 PM

Slippery Slope: What to do with mastering the 7 Habits?

Normally when I write about the slippery slope I write with the benefit of hindsight. This forum gives me a calm sandbox to write in and experiment with the simple contrast between the 7 Habits book and a recent book titled "Happy City".

The 7 Habits book is one that every living person knows. If you use an online calendar then you are in the 7 Habits sphere of influence give or take. Are you happy?

The Happy City book seems to knock together the heads of the 7 Habits graduates and ask them if they like what they built? The profound question of a happy city has survived my mind for thirty-some years after sitting on a roof at a MTU frat party during winter.

That night was all good and well until the girl that I dated gushed over a recent graduate that got a job at Martin-Marietta. He returned to MTU to party and jumped from hood to trunk to roof of cars in a parked row and smashed them all. He was a rocket scientist. Fuck balls.

I beg of the 7 Habits graduates - please work together to build a Happy City. Happy cities are closer to home than MTU.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Ready

There will never be a 'happy city.' You cannot fix humanity by building anything.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
There will never be a 'happy city.' You cannot fix humanity by building anything.
Powerful. Thank you.

The fight over defining the word "anarchy" hit me when I saw a contrast between profit in publishing the "Anarchists Cookbook" vs. harmony in working together to build a village.

There are happy anarchists on both sides of the struggle. The Happy City book strikes me as the best definition of what both sides want to work together to construct. To recreate.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 AM
Ready

The 'seven habits' type stuff can make you better at striving hard to achieve your life goals. It cannot make you want to strive hard to achieve your life goals.

Is the whole anarchy thing about how we sometimes have problems with subordination?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
The 'seven habits' type stuff can make you better at striving hard to achieve your life goals. It cannot make you want to strive hard to achieve your life goals.

Is the whole anarchy thing about how we sometimes have problems with subordination?
Meh. I dunno.

A decade or so after I read 7 Habits I got into a discussion with coworkers about the habits. They made fun of me for being a six habits of partially successful people kind of guy. That was good and well. I am still digesting what Covey wrote about the power of saying no and what my cube mate told me was a good question to keep in the soul.

"What good can come of this?"
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Rational Anarchist

Anarchists are not happy. It's why they're anarchists.

On the other hand, rational anarchy is a path that wanders in and out of Happy City.

Last edited by nailer; 03-14-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post

On the other hand, rational anarchy is a path that wanders in and out of Happy City.
I am starting to understand the different shades of anarchy and the utility of anarchy in general. From a practical perspective I am attracted to a more constructive and local practice of anarchy. In that practice I destroy myself instead of others. IMO there is a parallel between local anarchy and the Golden Rule that people hunger to practice. Unfortunately explaining that parallel is not a profitable story so we get a more profitable and popular story of anarchy instead. That story sounds akin to "if it bleeds it leads."

Politics are frustrating enough when everything is going well. My most recent fascination is with the practice of writing goals. If leaders write bad goals then politics become exponentially more expensive and difficult to rein back in.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:

It will take me some time to digest your question. Here is my second attempt at answering. I will try to answer by asking if it is OK for me to rephrase your question. Are you asking whether the 'seven habits' type stuff is good at guiding people towards things that they want to maintain for generations? If so then we are working together on answering a question of policy magnitude.

Below is a screencap that shows how delicate a policy dance can be. Here is a link to the source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u49v...&feature=share

As an aging military brat I shared my screencap because it is a fair abstraction of my thoughts. Detroit, MI is on the left side of the river and Windsor, ON is on the right. What punched me in the chest between the two nations is how far right both of them are on the political spectrum and how tall their buildings are after about 240 years of integrating infinitesimal policy differences.

Which side of the river is more walkable and sustainable as a goal? Which goal would make a person wake up one morning and pull the covers over their head versus getting out of bed and striving one more day to maintain?

Tough stuff this perspective crap is.

Peace out! Party time over here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (62.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post

Rational anarchy?

Care to expand.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 AM

Anarchy is just a messier way than Libertarianism to hand the whole shebang over to authoritarian bullies.