Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Persona non grata

Why the GOP is and will continue to be the party of white people

In order to really get a handle on today's Republican Party you need to understand the Southern Strategy and how it has impacted the party and the nation. This article does a pretty good job of it IMO.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...-white-people#

Quote:
"Who needs Manhattan when we can get the electoral votes of eleven Southern states?" Kevin Phillips, the prophet of "the emerging Republican majority," asked in 1968, when he was piecing together Richard Nixon's electoral map. The eleven states, he meant, of the Old Confederacy. "Put those together with the Farm Belt and the Rocky Mountains, and we don't need the big cities. We don't even want them. Sure, Hubert [Humphrey] will carry Riverside Drive in November. La-de-dah. What will he do in Oklahoma?"

Forty-five years later, the GOP safely has Oklahoma, and Dixie, too. But Phillips's Sunbelt strategy was built for a different time, and a different America. Many have noted Mitt Romney's failure to collect a single vote in 91 precincts in New York City and 59 precincts in Philadelphia. More telling is his defeat in eleven more of the nation's 15 largest cities. Not just Chicago and Columbus, but also Indianapolis, San Diego, Houston, even Dallas—this last a reason the GOP fears that, within a generation Texas will become a swing state. Remove Texas from the vast, lightly populated Republican expanse west of the Mississippi, and the remaining 13 states yield fewer electoral votes than the West Coast triad of California, Oregon, and Washington. If those trends continue, the GOP could find itself unable to count on a single state that has as many as 20 electoral votes.

continued
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Admin

Math isn't their strong suit.

As a Foul Noise blonde pundit pointed out to Karl Rove when he melted down over her calling Ohio for Obama in November 2012.
"Is this the math that Republicans use to make themselves feel better?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwuR0jCavk&feature=kp
Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think that smart Republicans (a dying breed, it seems) realize the pickle they're in. However, trying to appeal to people other than southern rednecks (i.e., blacks, Hispanics, gays ...) will alienate their solid redneck base. For every voter they win in these new constituency, they'll lose an alienated, resentful redneck. With their Mississippi primary fiasco, it seems they may lose the 'Baggers without gaining the blacks. Serves them right.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think that smart Republicans (a dying breed, it seems) realize the pickle they're in. However, trying to appeal to people other than southern rednecks (i.e., blacks, Hispanics, gays ...) will alienate their solid redneck base. For every voter they win in these new constituency, they'll lose an alienated, resentful redneck.
It's true.

They are impaled on the horns of a dilemma.

And I'm lovin every minute of it.

Because after all, they are only getting what they deserve for making a conscious decision to actively court the white racist vote.

Here's a video of a panel discussion of the article in the OP.

Note what the author says beginning at 3:48 into the video.

"If you are the party of self reliance and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, and 75% of Asian Americans don't vote for you, you have a problem"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WesapV_tiv0

Last edited by Tom Joad; 07-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Area Man

Excellent article, thanks.

I would also point out that, once again, it highlights the need for the Executive Branch of the federal government to circumvent corrupt, asshole-ish state officials and step in to protect the safety and well-being of American citizens. Ike was right to take this action as was JFK in 1961. In both instances state governments wished to preserve "traditions" that were downright evil and could only be overcome by superior force. I can only imagine why certain folks would like to break up this capability. Just what is it they seek the "freedom from federal interference" to do? Their railing against the Civil Rights Act, child labor laws and anything pro-labor are strong and obvious indicators to my mind. They seek the "freedom" to re-establish once vanquished tyrannies, foisted upon individuals by corrupt state governments.

"Then, within weeks, an authentic crisis arose. Arkansas's governor, Orval Faubus, defied a federal court order to desegregate Little Rock's Central High School, bringing in the National Guard to surround the school and block a group of black pupils from entering, while a shrieking mob threatened violence. Unable to compromise with Faubus, Eisenhower federalized the Guardsmen and also sent in 1,000 paratroopers from the 101st Airborne Division. For the first time since Reconstruction, U.S. government troops, armed with bayonets, "occupied" a state in the old Confederacy."

Dave
Old 07-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Why the GOP is and will continue to be the party of white people
Because they are racist.

That was an easy question.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Because they are racist.

In spite of all the evidence that points to that conclusion, you are not allowed to say that because then you are playing the race card.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
In spite of all the evidence that points to that conclusion, you are not allowed to say that because then you are playing the race card.
Right wing political correctness dictates that they respond to any calling out of obvious racist behavior with a counter allegation that the only reason you see racism is because you, yourself, are a racist.

I wonder if it works the same way with say....animal abuse? Catch a Republican beating his dog, you are obviously the animal abuser, because as every six year old knows "..It takes one to know one, you big dummy!"

Dave
Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Because they are racist.

Most I know are proud to say it too! Lets not forget the Homophobes in there.

Barney
Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Resident octogenarian

You left out 'dumb' between of and white