Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Check out off topics for an experimental thread.
Will do but I'd love to hear your rational, non partisan answer to my question right here.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
And some require both, which worked out in my favor with mine.
And some like it when the ego isn't the biggest thing a guy has to offer.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
... and says that a Romney administration promises Dubya's economic policies, Cheney's foreign policy, and Santorum's social policies. It sounded a bit too clever, but upon further thought I fear he may be right.

Anything wrong with Serpenthead's analysis?
Other than its a message targeted at the independents that are now polling favorable to Romney, it's demigougic, and it omits the fact that Obama has continued some of these same policies, and it offers no insight as to what Obama might do differently, no, there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Other than its a message targeted at the independents that are now polling favorable to Romney, it's demigougic, and it omits the fact that Obama has continued some of these same policies, and it offers no insight as to what Obama might do differently, no, there's nothing wrong with it.
Continuing some policies is a lot different than continuing all policies. Some and all are different things. That's why they are different words with different outcomes.

For example the Cheney Doctrine, aka the One Percent Doctrine, is something that Obama put the brakes on. Would you want to go back to that? Can the nation afford it either financially or in expenditure of political capital? How about US armed servicemen committing suicide? Can we afford to neglect that data while we ask them to shoot at the ghosts that Cheney told us to see?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
And some lime it

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post

So, we already have those things and Canada, Europe and many Asian countries have left us behind in Education, Healthcare.......In a rational, non partisan way, why do you think that is?
Uhhhhh........because we have a powerful political party whose anti-intellectual bent advances being a drooling, buck-toothed ignoramus like it's some sort of badge of honor?

Dave
Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Area Man

Quote:
I wish we could have a rational, intelligent debate on this forum, but it always turns to name calling and bashing by the second post. I'm as guilty as anyone too. The problem I have with Obama is, I think he envisions an America more like Europe, or Canada. Huge government and little personal responsibility. I also think he has divided this country farther than it's been in recent history concerning working classes and race. It's so easy for me to say Obama ate dogs, and the left to reply Romney tortured his dog by making him ride on the roof of the family truckster. Things that don't mean two shits are what the country seems focused on (both sides). To me, it's like a magician saying watch this hand, while he does the "trick" in his other hand.
So, we should just assume that everything we do is better than everyone else and blindly march forward?

Class struggle is real. Anyone who believes it isn't, will soon find themselves on the losing side.

I do try to get right to the point. I am hated for it. Not that I really care.

Dave
Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I wish we could have a rational, intelligent debate on this forum, but it always turns to name calling and bashing by the second post. I'm as guilty as anyone too. The problem I have with Obama is, I think he envisions an America more like Europe, or Canada. Huge government and little personal responsibility....
How much time have you spent in northern Europe and Canada, Jay? FWIW, Canada is now the country most admired in the world for its political system, economy, social policy and constitution. We're pretty far down the list, unfortunately.

As for northern Europe, I lived 11 years in Germany and there's a lot we could learn from them if we weren't so stubborn and convinced of our own exceptionalism. We do some things better than they do and they do some things better than we do, yet any attempt to better understand what and why they do better is met by screams of soci@lism and other such ignorance of their system of governance and its successes and failures.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
How much time have you spent in northern Europe and Canada, Jay? FWIW, Canada is now the country most admired in the world for its political system, economy, social policy and constitution. We're pretty far down the list, unfortunately.

As for northern Europe, I lived 11 years in Germany and there's a lot we could learn from them if we weren't so stubborn and convinced of our own exceptionalism. We do some things better than they do and they do some things better than we do, yet any attempt to better understand what and why they do better is met by screams of soci@lism and other such ignorance of their system of governance and its successes and failures.
I think we're getting to heart of something here. Is our way really better? Or are so many of us just so emotionally attached to it that we'll probably never be able to move on?

I've always believed extremes, even though they may have one or two advantages, usually end up being a disaster. Hence the fate of communism and fascism. We seem to have folks among us who seek pure lazzes-faire capitalism and near-anarchy.

I think that's a mistake. And a terrible one at that.

As I like to state,

"I don't want a goverment that doesn't govern. I want a government that governs reponsibly."

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever see that.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think we're getting to heart of something here. Is our way really better? Or are so many of us just so emotionally attached to it that we'll probably never be able to move on?

I've always believed extremes, even though they may have one or two advantages, usually end up being a disaster. Hence the fate of communism and fascism. We seem to have folks among us who seek pure capitalism and near-anarchy.

I think that's a mistake. And a terrible one at that.

As I like to state,

"I don't want a goverment that doesn't govern. I want a government that governs reponsibly."

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever see that.

Dave
Here's the abstract of the study I was referring to which showed that fewer and fewer nations look to our constitution as a model, in favor of Canada's.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1923556